free website stats program Hi from new member help wanted | Harley Davidson Forums

Hi from new member help wanted

K dobson

I brought a 97 dyna last year with an 06 motor in it and hopes to build my first harley with the help of my dad who is pretty experienced in workin on HDs and alot of other bikes we and we would like another opinion on the "hurdle" we have come across it seems that the bike has been in a smash previously and the rear motor mount that connects to the swing arm is completely destroyed and has been replaced with tubing and has been connected to the front of the back of the frame therefore eliminating the need for the gearbox/tranny casing/housing mount as you can see in the photo. My dad has the idea that the torque from the motor has the potential to twist the motor inside the frame but having looked online i have come across a guy by the name of Earl Upham on this HD forum and he mentioned the theory for the method that has been carried out on the bike ive bought im not sure if i have brought the bike of his doing or if it is somthing that is common and most importantly is it practical for use or do i need to buy a new gearbox/tranny casing/housing?

thanks

Dobo
United Kingdom

Link to original thread by Earl Upham: https://www.hdtimeline.com/threads/...-to-fix-it-without-removing-the-tranny.63727/

Attachments

• 90B1C20F-18F0-4773-A8BD-D809E7E9A302.png
    90B1C20F-18F0-4773-A8BD-D809E7E9A302.png
    12.7 MB · Views: 7
Welcome aboard the forum from Gulf Coast AL. This is way beyond my scope of knowledge, but I would replace it with a new one, just to be sure. Good Luck

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will come along shortly that may offer some insight. Otherwise, I would have to agree with Gator. ;)

Thanks for the welcome and i do agree with Earl's post but a few key details like crank balancing and flywheel balance would come into play but yes would love a professional or at least more knowledgeable second opinion on this one

Personally, not liking the looks of the modification but have a couple of questions.

1. How does the bike ride/handle in the current configuration?
2. Is the '06 motor an "A" or "B" motor, i.e, did it come from a softail, touring or another dyna model? Importtant information as all three have the same rear motor mount but the front mount is different for all three and the pictured modification will affect handling differenty. So pictures of the front mount would be helpful.
3. Is the trans housing solidly attached to the frame? If so, how? Pictures please.

Truly, crank and flywheel balance are the same thing and have nothing to do with the issue at hand. Certainly the crank/flywheel assembly is important and can have an effect on vibration but a completely separate issue.

I have never run across a similar situation and I am not a professional but if the OP can answer the questions and provide a few more photos, I will opine and my thoughts are not worth much but could give the OP something to think about.;)

Back