free website stats program Hey, that's an insult !!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Hey, that's an insult !!!

Neighbor came down this evening and walked in the garage and as he strolls up to my newly acquired 2005 Softail Springer Classic, he says, "wow, beautiful bike, I haven't seen you on this one." ( I own/buy/sell alot/often. ) So I reply, yeah, I just got it and I really like it. To which he replies, " sure is sweet, looks just like an old Indian." Aaarrgghhh !!! So I informed him that it is/was modeled after the 1948 Harley Springer. I was INSULTED !!!
But then, I got to wondering, honestly, who copied who? Or is it, who copied whom? Anybody know the history of these 2 beautiful bikes? I love old Indians too, but I do wonder who copied who/whom ? I sure like to convince myself that Indian copied Harley, but I really don't know. I know everyone has tried to copy Harley for the last decade or more, but back then???

Love the old Springer look, but insulted, nah...just glad they were interested enough to even venture a comment. Don't feel anything negative was meant by the comment, just genuine curiosity. As for the history, both brands have a history and great following...:D History buffs will probably comment which one was "first" but not necessarily correct as far as which one is better, because the "modern" fork slider design superceded it because of the one great "flaw"...those multi-piece light guage tubes are fragile and easily damaged in a minor "mishap"...:(

I was actually joking about being insulted, that's why I worded the question....."Anybody know the history of these 2 beautiful bikes?"....like I did. 2 beautiful bikes indeed. I've owned ALOT of bikes, but this Springer really draws attention, everybody seems to love a Springer and it's basically stock. I don't feel a need to add anything to any of my bikes unless it add's pleasure to the ride. Guess I'm saying I'm not out for attention, but this bike draws it for sure. I will be checking into adding cruise if I ride any distance on it, but I have an Ultra for my distance runs.

just wondering - why people slam the indian brand - was it not also a U.S. made motorcycle. If it came out of the middle east I could under stand the feelings .???

Pride really, Darwinean theory aside, there are people who like ONLY Throughbreds...yet the DNA goes way back. We all put value on things based on our experience rather than what it truly is...not a bad thing...just not very "correct" in the scheme of things. Take a look in the "Classic" section of this forum and check out C.Dolans' rides and tell me which one is a REAL CLASSIC...:s

The Indians were the first Sports Bikes. My dad and uncles had old Indians back in the 50's think they 1930 some models and they were pulling wheelies with them. They told me to be very careful riding them as they would flip over on hard acceleration.

HD did not have anything to compete until they came out with the Sportster XLCH.

Indians in fact were just as good a Machine as the HD flathead, but H D came out with the OHV Knuclehead motor and Indian kept the tried and true flathead motor. World war 2 orders fell short, pillage by factory workers led to Indians demise TOO BAD they were great old bikes:s

thanks for the replies - just wondered if Indian had got the war contracts if things would have been different. looking at the older bikes the Indians were unique in their own way .

thanks for the replies - just wondered if Indian had got the war contracts if things would have been different. looking at the older bikes the Indians were unique in their own way .

No way of ever knowing now, Indian was pretty set in their ways and did not gear up like H D did. They believed the flathead to be the engine for them not knowing that H D would turn the page and create more power with OHV design. Indian did get some of the war contracts and won a lot of races but the Harleys had more R&D at the time and deeper pockets, tho the valenced fenders and paint on the Indians was pretty:s

Back