free website stats program Heritage Springer exhaust help | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Springer exhaust help

chinito

I have a 2003 Heritage Springer mainly stock (just K&N filter). I hated the stock sound (as put by a friend "nice bike, but it sound like a sewing machine"). Got drag pipes 1 3/4", same size as the headers. Sounded good but think it lost low end power. I've read that using drag pipes on HD often lower HP due to lack of back pressure. Any way I would appreciate help on choosing a good exhaust system. I mainly want to change to true duals and then the mufflers, well, I would love loud as hell without loosing low-mid power. I don't live in the States so noise is not an issue for me. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Chinito

I have built many busa and zx12 engines, I have just found the world of harley davidson engines, and am fascinated by them, one thing i can tell you is that almost all engines react to exhaust changes in a similar fashion. The drag pipes you have added might and probably did effect your low end torque, but i believe it would not be enough to feel by the seat of your pants. And what is lost on bottom, is gained on top. I belive it to be more mental than anything. One thing i have to ask if you rejetted the bike after the exhaust change, WIth the better flowing exhaust, you can fatten the bike up and pick up hp. Also, if your that worried about low end torque, Try a nice 2 into 1 system. They seem to be showing tremendous bolt on numbers. just my two cents.

gsxrboy96:

Thanks for the help. I'm actually more concerned about sound than power, not that I don't like to drive the hell out of my bike, but a Springer is not a crotch rocket, and I'm aware of it. Just want to have a good low end torque to pass trucks on hills and have an out of this world sounding bike. Since heritage springer is a good looking bike, I wouldn't like to kill it by installing 2 into 1's. That's why I mentioned the true dual headers and asking for the mufflers.

Gary12850:

Read on some reviews cones just don't work, as for the washer, been there done that, no much gain but a strange whistle on my pipes, no annoying but very distracting.

Back