free website stats program Heritage Front Brake Rota | Harley Davidson Forums

Heritage Front Brake Rota

courthouse5

Hello all,
I need to change the front brake rota on my 2003 Heritage, I was thinking of the Classic Chrome (Part 44821-00) instead of the standard fit Polished (Part 41830-05), only because I prefer the appearance though!
Are there any issues / problems with this change?
Best regards,
Couthouse5.

Brake rotors are usually made out of stainless steel (high nickel content) or cast iron, both machined to a high polish. Of course most use stainless steel because it is harder and holds up to exotic brake pad materials. Cast iron is usually reserved for organic or "soft" compound brake pad materials. The actual rotor selection then becomes a matter of what rotor (i.e. Rockwell Hardness...or similar) matches the pads you intend to use, and cosmetic reasons. Do go with the floating disc rotors, they are "self centering" and ensure more even wear. JMHO

I've never had a warm fuzzy feeling about chrome rotors. Unless they are done different than normal chrome, it's a very thin coating. I would be afraid of it flaking later on.

The stainless rotors shine up good if you clean them with brake clean.

Ok for show but if bike is a rider than the extra expense for chrome becomes a expense for like RWB stated about the chrome and the look after the pads burn through chrome might be unsightly...

OK folks, many thanks for all the information.
However, just to claify a few points Classic Chrome and Polished are the HD 'part names' for the two rota's that I mentioned, and they are listed at the same price.
I'm guessing that either would be a suitable match for the stock HD Brake pads, and I need to make the change due to the original Polished rota being damaged (bent) thanks to a car park incident with a pick-up.
Regards, Courthose5.

If the rotors have floating rivets to a chrome center hub, you should be fine...the actual swept surfaces are stainless steel, the rivets/inserts are also stainless, but the hubs can be virtually "any" material (even chrome or carbon fiber or powder coated ordinary steel). You should be fine if they are multi-piece and I would go with them rather than stock, since it is a cosmetic issue and you are going to use new fasteners, having the wheel off anyway (good time to upgrade). :s

Back