free website stats program HELP!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP!!!

Help James

New harleys new to bikes period.. just purchased my bike 97 road king few weeks back. Blew head gasket,fixed the head gasket, disconnected battery during process. Now mind you all my switches on bars are bypassed when I got bike, so to run bike on was an aftermarket switch and a push start button. The headlights are on another aftermarket switch separate from main power switch. The speedometer never worked from the day I got it the main power switch on top of tank below speedometer doesn’t work either isn’t connected wasnt when I got it, no relay either there is a 40amp fuse that runs to starter and push button itself. Once battery was reinstalled I’m getting spark and fuel bike will not fire off… HELP ME PLEASE!! Just need to put my (EDIT) in the wind..

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it run before you changed the head gasket? If so it had to be something you did while changing the head gasket. Back track on the work you did to find the source of your problem. If it were my scoot i'd scrap the electrical mess you have and put it back to stock, nothing good comes from a haphazard mess as you described. JMHO.

I touched nothing electrical at all I just undid the battery that’s it. the haphazard mess i described came that way when I received it.. it’s done that way bc there is no key or fob I’m assuming..compression test was good. Could it be an anti theft issue???? Does this year even have that on it????

How do I know if my Harley has a security system?

One way to tell for sure is to determine whether your bike has a Turn Signal Module(TSM) or a Turn Signal Security Module(TSSM) installed. TSM = no security system TSSM = security system. On the side of the module there should be a sticker with a H-D part number.Feb 7, 2011

If you have one and that was the issue the system disables the starter and ignition so your scoot wouldn't turn over, seems that's not the problem.
You would need the fob to activate the system and you said it has none.

You never said if it ran before you got it, Did you check all fuses and relays?
How did you check for spark and fuel?

Last edited:
Back