free website stats program help | Harley Davidson Forums

help

moco

ok i am look at an 08 nightster but i am 5 11 270lbs and dont want to look like a monkey (edit) a football, so here is my question how big/small is everyone out there ribing sportsters, also wat kind of mpg are you seeing
thanks for all your help
moco

Last edited by a moderator:
At 6 foot 300#'s a sportster is not comfortable .. Even with forward Controls it is way to cramped sit on one or better yet ride one you might feel the same.. Guy i work with rides a older sportster is getting about 38 round town and 57 highway

I'm 5'7" 170lbs and my XL883STD is very comfortable... I'm getting 55 mpg... mostly highway riding.

I'm 6 foot, 240 pounds and have no problem with my XL1200Custom. The forward controls are the only way to ride. With my weight, the stock seat had to go and I replaced it with a Sundowner. But, I am enjoying day touring with other HD riders from our office. 160 miles on the stock seat was my limit. Now I go over 300 in a day with no problem.

In town, I'm getting 48mpg (I do not drive it like I stole it!). On the highway, I'm getting around 54 (we travel about 78-80 out here in the desert).

As far as getting crap over a Sportster, I've only gotten it from one person, and she worked in the service dept of one of our local dealers. Needless to say, I've never gone to her again and went to the service dept at the main dealership (she works at the branch). Everyone in sales and parts at both dealers treat me like a million bucks (they obviously know that the purchase of an HD is merely a downpayment on all of the accessories you will buy to customize it). I obviously look like a giant wallet to them. I don't care-as long as they provide excellent help and assistance, that is all that matters. They are great folks and I think they world of Josh and Sally.

So, don't worry about riding a Sportster. I can out-accellerate all of the touring bike riders on the road, out handle them, and with the roadster tank, I go just as far as them between fill-ups. And they do not make fun of me at all. (I think they are glad I finally gave up my Honda after riding it for 27 years!)

I do highly recommend going stage 1 ASAP. Your bike will run smoother, have more get up and go, and sound a lot better!

Steve

im 6 ft 350 lbs and ride a 06 1200xl custom. i dont mind it at all. plenty of power and i average 50 mpg as of yesterday calclations.. I dont care if i look dumb, its what i could afford and its a harley !!!!

I'm 6 ft 4 in. and I got a 1200 Sportster Custom, and I find it quite fit for me with the advanced controls.
Considering that I live in Italy, where the roads are more tortuous than american ones, and the city streets are very narrow and crowded, this bike model is most suitable. And I don't look too dumb, after all ;-)

i'm 5'10" & weigh in at 288lbs (ok i'm a lardy chap) i find my nightster fine with forward controls on,with the stock mids i found it quite uncomfortable.
the only thing i find uncomfortable now is the stock seat but it looks cool so its staying-num butt or not :D

Back