free website stats program Help!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help!!

beaker

Im trying to re-install my ignition lock cylinder and cannot get it to function correctly, what could i be doing wrong? Any ideas?

No I do not have the instuctions. I have read the removal instruction and when it said reverse order it doesnt work. So at this time anything could help!
Thanks so much!!

Thanks man I will keep trying. Not like I need to get it back in right away I had to take it out to paint my trim piece around it, and just was trying to see if it would go back in and work. Thanks again!!

I boogered up mine after my handlebar change. I ended up using a big standard screwdriver to align the 4 tabs. Took me about an hour but I finally got it. I think I was lucky that it only took that long........

I boogered up mine after my handlebar change. I ended up using a big standard screwdriver to align the 4 tabs. Took me about an hour but I finally got it. I think I was lucky that it only took that long........

Same with mine. I used the screwdriver to turn the switch on, and after that is where I had trouble getting it lined up again.

As BigLew says, DO NOT FORCE anything...could be something as simple as worn or damaged pin, to miscut or worn keys (mine is after all a 2004 model). Even noticed key is easier to work the lock in one direction and ignition in the other, so I used "I" and "L" painted on the key so I visually ID which side to use (single Sporty key works both). Recently I purchased one of those fancy Willie G key which works just fine (cut based on # on key) so likely in my case it was a worn key. May want to have new ones cut, especially if under warranty. Please post what you decide and the outcome...

Sorry I misread this guys, thought that he had it fixed in a subsequent post. I would think a thin screwdriver (Xcelite), fiberglass stick or Beautech wood handled solder aid pick would help to nudge part into alignment.

First make sure the button on the bottom of the lock assembly is depressed and the key is turned passed the on position, holding the button in, like it was when ya took it off. Look down into the mechanizium on yer bike and make sure the slot in the bottom is aligned so that when you insert the lock itself, the tab on the lock lines up with the slot, it should be a little past the on position and your bike should be on. If ya got all the other little spacers,tabs and springs lined up all you should have to do is press the lock down, turn the key back and everything should funtion properly. If not ya probobly have turned the slot in the lock the wrong way at some point, it's kinda tricky ta find the right spot cuz the switch has detents that work 360 deg. You'll have to do some trial and error until ya get it, but as the guys have told ya "Don't force anything!" patience and persistance is what ya need, don't let this thing get ya.

if you are still having trouble with your ignition switch go you tube and type in Harley Ignition switch removal from a 2009 Street Glide it will show the removel and install of the switch

My buddy went to the local H-D dealer and borrowed the tool from one of the technicians after disassembling and having trouble lining up the switch. If you are on friendly terms with a dealer that might save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Back