free website stats program Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Help

I have an '07 RoadKing Classic that seems to be giving me more headaches than fun. I would like to know if anyone else is having the same issues as me.

The bike starts when it feels like it. I've had problems like this before and the neutral switch was replaced, twice. When this problem would occur all the lights would kick on and then eventually go off....neutral, 6th gear, security light.

However, now I notice that the security "key" light stays on when the bike wont start. I wave the fob, it goes off. When the FI stops loading, light comes on and the bike is dead. Even tried to clear it w/password as if you dont have the key fob and it still doesnt start. Could there be a problem with the security system? Its the factory installed one...no extras. Checked codes and noticed that when you clear them, it will start. Also, if you just wait 15-20 minutes it will start....sometimes it takes 2 hours.

Can anyone help me with this? Ive taken it to different dealers with no luck.

Thanks.

I would start by removing and cleaning the battery terminals, you may also want to replace the FOB battery too.

This might sound silly,but do you carry a cell phone?
If I carry my Blackberry on the belt holder my alarm reacts the way you describe,but if I put it in the windshield pouch or just shut it off everything is fine.

I dont usually carry a cell phone but never thought that would interfere as if I do have it its clipped on my belt loop. I havent changed the battery in the fob since I've gotten it so that is a good start, however I thought if you entered the password it would override it, no? Also, would the battery going dead in the fob cause the bike to start sometimes and not others?

Also, is there a way to disengage the system altogether?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I dont usually carry a cell phone but never thought that would interfere as if I do have it its clipped on my belt loop. I havent changed the battery in the fob since I've gotten it so that is a good start, however I thought if you entered the password it would override it, no? Also, would the battery going dead in the fob cause the bike to start sometimes and not others?

Also, is there a way to disengage the system altogether?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Changing from a TSSM to a TSM will remove the alarm system from the bike. The password should over ride it and a low battery could indeed cause a start/no start condition because it doesn't de activate the alarm system.

Thanks Glider. Is that something a dealer has to do or can I do it myself?
Would this also cause the rest of the lights to kick on also? eg, false neutral and sixth gear light...it usually happens after riding awhile. Thought the new neutral switch would have fixed it, but still happening.

Another quick question, the tssm is the actual alarm system? Im sorry, alittle new at all of this.....

Last edited by a moderator:
More than likely the dealer didn't change the switch because they didn't see it happening. I went through 3 of them because of the same thing you are experiencing. It's a good thing to cover the neutral switch with some plastic when washing the bike. I added the chrome cover by Kuryakyn to the switch that shields it from water. Seemed to eliminate the problem from water infiltration into the switch.

You can change the TSSM to a TSM and do the password relearn process to get it running again.

Marrying NEW TSM/TSSM To Bike (password relearn) - Harley Davidson Community

The TSSM is the turn signal security module. It IS the alarm system besides the turn signal activator.

Last edited:
Glider, again thanks alot for all your help. If I change the battery on the fob is there anything else I would need to do for it to work? Would you happen to know what type of battery it is?

Just change the battery, nothing else required. I think it's the little round battery :lolrolling

CR2032 Lithium - Rayovac from Wallmart.

HD# 66373-06

Last edited:
Back