free website stats program Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help!

2006FXDCI

I am planning on a build this winter only problem is I don't know which way to go, use what I have as far as my cases, crank and such or just buy a jims 120. You read so much about bad cranks in the twin cam motors so i guess what i'm asking is has anyone out there had trouble with your stock crank on a build of around 105-110 ft. lbs. of torque and same with horsepower. what suggestions do you have for builds in this range? I ride my bike like i stole it most of the time and generally i keep my motor turning 3000 rpm's or better. I am looking for good performance and rock solid dependability and am willing to spend some cash to get it. Any help on this would be appreciated my brain is going numb from looking at part numbers and trying to come up with a plan.

Jims or an S&S motors are the way to go if money isn't the primary concern. I wouldn't use the TC motor from harley without a lot of extra work before even considering it. There's some pretty attractive engines from these manufacturers that will satisfy any urges for power you may have.

I don't wanna make it sound like i am a millionaire or something I am looking to spend 8 or 9 grand which has taken me a couple of years to save for this so i wanna do this right the first time. I can't find an S&S complete motor for my 06 dyna in their catalog? so i assume my only alternative is a jims but the 120 has some drawbacks such as the old style cam chains so then you gotta dump another grand into it for gear drives and a good oil pump. This is the heart of my dilemma which way is best for both performance and reliability.

I talked to the only S&S certified dealer anywhere near me (about 100 miles away) and they keep pushing me towards a 124 but their price seems to be around 10 grand out the door a jims 120 is $7200, 2 grand for an induction system and 5 hundred for a clutch, which puts me almost dollar for dollar at the same price.

what about the new 110 se race kit? it has an attractive price and if i buy a 4 3/8 crank i'm still only around 5 grand in parts, my questions with it are 1) are the 110 cylinders any good the cvo's have been having trouble with the rear cylinder leaking oil and 2) is the new se lefty bearing any good, will it hold up in the long run as I don't know anyone around me who can do the machine work to switch over to a timken bearing.

the only problem with that SE build is my engine is silver, the SE catalog says the 103+ heads are only available in black, have you ever seen a twin cam with a silver bottom end and a black set of heads? what kind of numbers are you talking about with the SE build?

what about using the 110+ or the mva cnc ported heads they will work in this application are they worth the extra money? what are your thoughts on the se lefty bearing for that new crank?

Back