free website stats program Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Help

I have a 2001 FLSTS (Heritage Springer) with 33,000 Km.
The battery went dead on the bike, since it was 4 years old I replaced it. Then the new battery went dead so I obviously have a another problem.
The battery went dead after the bike has sat unused for a few days. The alarm system is not activated. When I tried to remove the original battery the siren sounded even though it was deactivated. After speaking with the dealer I just went ahead and replaced the battery with the alarm screaming. The alarm horn will not sound if the it is turned on and when you turn the ignition on both flashers, flash three or four times.
I have booked an appointment with the Harley Toronto for Tuesday but the thought of them chasing electrical problems scares me ($$$$). Any help would be appreciated.

Gordon

Thanks for the input.

I'm sure the alt is good because the bike runs fine when the battery is discharged. If I run the bike every day everything is fine with only the battery slightly weaker than when fully charged. If the bike sits unused for 3 days the battery is dead. If I boost the bike it starts and runs fine with a easy starting all day. It only goes dead if it sits. The battery was relaced.

Thanks

Restlessone - Welcome to HDTimeline, you will have plenty of info and support from your fellow riders here!

1+ for Glider' and Martin' assessment...something is discharging battery (a parallal leakage current) and easiest way to find is isolate (unplug) most likely prospects, the regulator being the first, next would be the two starter cables (the big red primary one). Another thing of course is if there were mods in the handlebar control wiring or main wiring harness wiring (cut, pinched insulation) that maybe discharging battery to ground. It is helpful to get an electrical diagram (included in the HD factory service manual ~$60 which will pay for itself the first few times you use it). Good luck with your troubleshooting and keep us posted as to your progress.

Thanks for the input.

I'm sure the alt is good because the bike runs fine when the battery is discharged. If I run the bike every day everything is fine with only the battery slightly weaker than when fully charged. If the bike sits unused for 3 days the battery is dead. If I boost the bike it starts and runs fine with a easy starting all day. It only goes dead if it sits. The battery was relaced.

Thanks

I would suspect what Glider says is right. The system is bleeding back through the Voltage Regulator draining the battery. As Glider suggested, do the electrical system tests, and I bet you will find that to be your problem. The fact that the bike runs once started does NOT mean the VR is OK. If it does show to be the VR, I suggest changing BOTH the stator and the VR at the same time.

TQ

I gave up searching for the problem and took it to the dealer. They say there is definitely a parasitic drain and it is nothing obvious.
Thankfully I have a credit card, this sounds expensive.:bigsmiley19:

Gordon

its the time to find it, could be lots of things.

Is the alarm original ?

If not, ask them to start there, and any other add ons to look at first.

Wish you luck with it, hope they dont ding you too bad.

its the time to find it, could be lots of things.

I was in over my head, time to give it to the experts

Is the alarm original ?

Yes, except for the addition of the remote pager

If not, ask them to start there, and any other add ons to look at first.

I told them there was a problem with the he alarm that started about the same time.

Wish you luck with it, hope they dont ding you too bad.

Cross your fingers.

Thanks Gordon

While it's fixed. All in all the prices wasn't so bad, it was the security module that had burned out. They charged 1 hour for diagnostics and the cost of the module. If the I wanted a security system the module was $550 and if I could live without security 1t was $150. I chose the cheap option.
I had them put on new brake pads ($120) and a new front tire ($300) so the total bill was $991.
Not happy about the price but I very pleased with the service from Toronto Harley.

Gordon:bigsmiley28:

Back