free website stats program help with ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

help with ultra

97ultra

i have a 1997 ultra that is giving me troubles. it has around 50k on it, after i let it warm up it wants to rev up to about 3 to 4 grand and stay there. i have been told by an indy that it has no past codes or present codes and it needed a iac motor so put one on and set with the meter.but still running the same . any help would be great. lonnie

Somtimes a high idle indicates an intake leak/lean condition. Spray some carb cleaner around the carb/intake area and see if the idle changes.

If it is a symptom that has progessed over time that is where I would start. I am assuming no one has messed with the carb adjustments?

the indy put new seals on also sorry didnt say that

it is a efi. also is getting poor gas milage

Last edited by a moderator:
No codes, no mods or fueler, new IAC motor? I don't have any wiring diagrams for your bike so these are just ideas but maybe a bad IAT Sensor or TPS? I am sure others will follow with some other things to check but thats all I got for now.

A bad engine temp sensor can also cause a high idle & poor fuel mileage. But agree check for a vacuum leak first, new doesn't mean it is not leaking. They intake seals are easy to roll as you install them & can seal for some time before they let go. Mine lasted 1500 miles on a cut seal.

Toby

Back