free website stats program Help with tie downs and storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with tie downs and storage

kabory

Hello, I just picked up a wheel chock from Harbor freight and I am using tie downs because the bike wont stay in chock by its own for more than 5 minutes. I would like to store the bike over winter this way. Am I doing any harm to the front suspension by having the bike strapped down for long periods?
2012-02-01180952.jpg

Don't tighten the straps too tight. When the front suspension starts to compress that should be enough, especially if the bike stays stationary for the winter.
Ken

Don't think you should have any problems with the light pressure kemo spoke of. I would move the tie downs to just above the lower triple tree, no sense putting strain on the handlebars.

You can also put the kick stand down and shim under it with blocks of wood

Don't think you should have any problems with the light pressure kemo spoke of. I would move the tie downs to just above the lower triple tree, no sense putting strain on the handlebars.

I totally agree with this. It's how I always stabilize and transport a bike.

As others mentioned, light pressure shouldn't hurt anything. I prefer to attach the staps to the bracket were the fender joins the forks, that way no compression is on the fork tubes.

Go to your HD dealer and ask if they have any straps from when the new models come in. I know when I was moving I went to the dealer and asked about the best way to ship my bike. The manager gave me a complete shipping crate for a sportster straps and all. He advised that they normally send the crates back to HD to reuse but they did not have ton to go back. So when I did my self move to Ireland I had a complete HD shipping crate for my sporty. Loaded the household and bike in a 40' shipping container and had no worrys about my bike. Been here almost 3 years and still use the crate at times.

Tony

Go to your HD dealer and ask if they have any straps from when the new models come in. I know when I was moving I went to the dealer and asked about the best way to ship my bike. The manager gave me a complete shipping crate for a sportster straps and all. He advised that they normally send the crates back to HD to reuse but they did not have ton to go back. So when I did my self move to Ireland I had a complete HD shipping crate for my sporty. Loaded the household and bike in a 40' shipping container and had no worrys about my bike. Been here almost 3 years and still use the crate at times.

Tony

They used to use the white soft ties from the factory, most dealers have tons of them laying around, My salesman in Mn had a bunch of them in his office @ all times:s

So are you pretty happy with it ? I just ordered the same one the reviews was great. Did you try adjust the front of the braket?

Back