free website stats program Help With Oil Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Help With Oil Leak

BOWHIKER

Last Saturday I changed my primary fluid , I had a ned finned derby cover so I installed it along with the new gasket which is a big flat gasket . i drained the oil and let it drain for 45 min. reinstalled drain plug and added 1 qt. of forula 1 HD oil . I installed the new derby cover and gasket with the correct side facing the clutch pack , torqued the bolts in the correct order to 95 in. lbs. . After riding about 30 miles in 90 degree heat I got home and parked it . I went out an hr. later to plug in my tender and noticed a drop of oil on the floor . I could see where it seeped at the very bottom of the derby cover between the bottom 2 bolts . It wasn't a huge drop only about 1/2 the size of a dime . I wiped the floor and cleaned under primary cover and where it wept on debry cover . After sitting over night there was no leak , oh I did recheck all the bolts too . Do I need to remove cover and replace the gasket or should I use a little silicone ?

I think it is ok now, sometimes just a little left over oil around cover and bolts that will drip. New gasket and proper torque should not leak.

Sometimes you don't get it all wiped up after install, if it's dry now leave it alone and ride.

I have noticed at times that some oil will end up in one of the bolt hole threads. After riding the oil will find it way to the bottom to the primary and leave a small drop on the floor. Doesn't happen every time and once it get's heated a few times no more leak. With the new gasket and making sure of the torque values you should be OK.

The first time I did a primary change somebody here or at HD told me to make sure to get all the oil out of that "O-ring groove" So I have reminded myself to do that every time since.

Yes this is true except this cover doesn't have the groove like the stock covers have it's flat thus it uses the pancake gasket . I talked to my parts guy at the dealer and he told me to take the cove off and lay it on something flat like glass and see if there is any wobble in it . I would guess MOCO has these kind of parts made in China that being said it's probably warped .

Lay that cover on a piece of glass to make sure it is square, I do not like silicone on the threads try some Anti sieze instead JMO

IF okay Now,,, don't give it a second thought..

I ALWAYS clean OFF ALL oil from the mating surface on my bikes... The sportster has the big rubber "0" ring that I prefer to seal the derby cover...

IF any oil is on the mating surface or "0" ring,,, I have had it seep around and oil drops on the floor...

Same thing on ANY gasket for me... Like the inspedtion gasket for adjusting the primary on the older TC's, any oil on that fiber gasket or metal area A LEAK...

signed....BUBBIE

Back