free website stats program Help with fuel guage problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Help with fuel guage problem

ultra pearl

Hi everyone, this is my first question post.
I just bought a used 2008 FLHTCU with 2799 miles on it.
It came from the US throught a company in Ontario.
When I recieved the bike, the tank was drained of fuel for shipping, when I added a bit of gas to get it going, the fuel guage was showing full.
It shows full all the time, the miles remaining guage doesn't count down, and when I shake the bike while it's on the jiffy stand, I hear a knocking sound coming from inside the tank, like there is something floating around inside.

The company is sending me a new gasket and sending unit to see if that is the problem. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Anyone else have a similar problem or know what the trouble might be?

You didn't say if the fuel pump pressurized, or if the bike started. There is a lot of information in the self help section. Just a side question, if they drained the gas did they also drain the trans and primary?

The bike runs fine, I am using the trip meter as a guage until I get the other one fixed. They only drained the fuel and runned it dry.

The company is sending me a new gasket and sending unit to see if that is the problem. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Anyone else have a similar problem or know what the trouble might be?

The problem can't be too involved. I bet the parts they send you will fix the problem. I also bet once you get the old one in your hand, you will see what is wrong with it. Fix it and you will now have a Good used spare unit for down the road.

Resolved....Turns out the fuel sending unit had come unhooked from it's attachment point in the tank and was just floating around.
After getting into the tank and seeing the problem I re-attached the sending unit to it's place and everything seems to be working fine.
The only thing that puzzles me is how it may have come off in the first place.
The only possibility I can think of is, if someone may have changed the fuel filter and in the process of pulling out the unit that holds the filter, may have somehow unhooked the sending unit from it's holding point.

Good find & glad you located. You're probably correct w/the assumption (came loose during other maint.). Now it's time to fill 'er up & ride on!

Back