free website stats program help! transmission or clutch ? | Harley Davidson Forums

help! transmission or clutch ?

pan64

Hi,
I have a 78 shovel that has been sitting awhile. Everything was fine when last rode. Now I can roll it while it is in gear, replaced clutch plates, adjusted everything twice. Moving clutch hub moves rear wheel. Will not start and putting it in gear makes little difference in rolling bike. Any ideas?

Are you saying that with it in gear,clutch out you can still roll it?If so then you have the clutch adjusted to tight & not releasing.You may also have problem with the throw out bearing on the end of the clutch push rod.That's located on the the kicker side.
tourbox

Thanks guys,
I will check the throw out bearing. I've had this bike 18 years so I'm pretty sure clutch is adjusted right (went over it about 4 times). Is there a check for that bearing or should i just replace it?

Usually you can remove the filler plug on the kicker cover and see it.There should be a cupped looking wheel on the end of the clutch push rod. It has a fan looking outer edge for lack of terms.There is a small spring clip that holds it on the end of the rod.Usually all the parts fall off inside the kicker cover when the the clip lets go.The only thing small enough to get into the tranny gears is the small clip.I usually find it laying in the oil in tranny case behind the cover,not in the cover.The bearing consists of 2 washers & the bearing.They are about the size of a quarter($0.25).Some bearings have a small brass reducer to fit in the inside race of the bearing,depends on the rod end if memory serves me correctly.
Ray C.

Back