free website stats program HELP PLEASE -Water in Air Cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP PLEASE -Water in Air Cleaner

MarkS

Got rain on my open ac filter and on the way home bike started puttering. What should I do besides clean and re-oil filter?

I would do what you said. Clean and re-oil the air cleaner.

Some mechanics will advocate spraying water into the air intake to clean the carbon in a motor so I don't think you did any harm. A small amount of water from rain while riding without a rain sock shouldn't be a problem.

Read this tip for more info...

Harley Davidson Forums

Might want to buy a rain sock in the future.

Thank you Tank. I'm ordering a rain sock right now!!

You are welcome. :D

As long as the engine just sputtered you are OK. If it stalled then you are swallowing enough water to possibly bend something. Pull the plugs if it died and pump the water out by cranking it without plugs.

It just sputtered a little and would only last a couple of seconds then back to normal but all the way home which was ten miles. I pulled and cleaned the air filter and it had moisture in it as well as around the base where it seats. Cleaned it good and have it drying now. Tomorrow I'll oil it let it set for about 20 minutes before installing on my bike. Should I pull the plugs and check for moisture?

I ordered a rain sock as well from j&p cycles. Man.....$47.00 for sock and shipping!! Oucccchhh!

No worries about some rain going through your intake...drag racers inject water into their motor(s) for added HP. The sputtering was probably your scoot wanting "more throttle." :s

Just a quick thought here. Check your plug wires for any form of cracking or dirt buildup. That could cause a sputtering in the rain as well. Spark being shorted to ground. Also, put some di-electric grease on the connections to help seal out water.

Good call Dr. Sometimes the problem is not always the obvious.

If your bike ever stalls out fron TOO much water, remove the plugs, ground them and turn the engine over to push out any extra water, if the engine just sputters you will be OK

It's running 1000% better but has one little sputter around 3050 rpm for a second then once at around 3400. Very minor but I can tell. Bikes new just 2000 miles so not sure about cracked plug wires. What could this be??

Back