free website stats program Help me remove cover under ignition | Harley Davidson Forums

Help me remove cover under ignition

DeadeyeTom

Well guys and girls I am running into some issues fixing my bars. As some of you know I just bought a 03 EG standard The guy I bought it from put some wild one 6 bend bagger bars on and they move 3/4 back and forth in the clamps. So after some reading here and other places it sounded like I should upgrade from the 2 piece clamp to the newer 1 piece so I got one. Now this is where my problems began. Got the front fairing off check. Took out the stereo check. After looking into ignition removal and seeing utube vid on how its done check. Now after somemore reading found out that the older ones have to be done in acc position not locked position that vid shows. Not sure if thats right but it works and I put it back in and still all seems to work so check. But mine has no spring inside cap but seems to be in the lock not on top cause it comes up when pushed down,. Anyway with the switch off I still can't get the cover underneath off. Wont go over bare ignition seems to be little tabs that catch sides of ignition. I assumed there would be a nut to remove around the base but no. Any ideas the manual I ordered won't be here till next week sometime.

Can you post vids directly here if so I could flip camera my issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes but you cant get it out in locked position on mine. In the v-twin forum they said to do it in the acc position said it was important even. so I did that and it came right out and I put it back 3 times and all still works. But the cover with the switchs underneath that you need to remove to get to the bottom clamp bolts wont clear the bare lock the seem to have little tabs that sit in the base so I cant lift the cover off

yes but you cant get it out in locked position on mine. In the v-twin forum they said to do it in the acc position said it was important even. so I did that and it came right out and I put it back 3 times and all still works. But the cover with the switchs underneath that you need to remove to get to the bottom clamp bolts wont clear the bare lock the seem to have little tabs that sit in the base so I cant lift the cover off

Either that cover pops off or has torx screws holding it, I would first try to pop it off with a small flat blade screw driver?

there are torx screws on the sides I removed them. all thats holding it on is the bare ignition at this point.The cover with the positions marked on it is a separate piece snapped in but the hole is not big enough to clear ignition shaft and seems to have little tabs that fit in to sides of ignition. wondering if the top of the bare ignition come off some how. you know how some things have a nut to remove to pull it through or to lift cover off ie like a stereo knob or say a lighter but there is nothing like that. Going to go take a picture maybe that will help.

Last edited:
there are torx screws on the sides I removed them. all thats holding it on is the bare ignition at this point.The cover with the positions marked on it is a separate piece snapped in but the hole is not big enough to clear ignition shaft and seems to have little tabs that fit in to sides of ignition. wondering if the top of the bare ignition come off some how. you know how some things have a nut to remove to pull it through or to lift cover off ie like a stereo knob or say a lighter but there is nothing like that.

Clymer Manuals Harley Davidson FLH / FLT Twin Cam 1999 2005 Maintenance Service Shop Manual HDforums - YouTube Have you looked here too? Is there a metal nut like on a car antenna holding this plate on?

No manual yet dealer said they where on back order ,nice eh and there not helping me with any info either. And theres no nut

Here where I got in pics

Attachments

• 100_0944.jpg
    100_0944.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0945.jpg
    100_0945.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0946.jpg
    100_0946.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
those aren't holes there the edges of the tabs on each side that seen to hold on to the shaft, tried to pry around but they seem to go deeper then I can pry to get them off. I'm wondering if the top of shaft comes apart because even if you broke the tabs I don't think the hole is big enough to clear whats left. Most of the hole is not even exposed

Back