free website stats program Help ION sense with S&S EZ -Start cams | Harley Davidson Forums

Help ION sense with S&S EZ -Start cams

fabioz71

I'm Fabio from Italy, using Dyna FXDC 2009
The question is:
The EZ-Cams opens the exhaust valve and cut off pressure in cylinder to gain easy start, the engine no more run since i have the cams installed, supposing that all hardware is well fitted, is it possible that the ION Delphi sense realize that the engine is not good working and make the engine no run?
When the engine is cold, the engine switch on, but when hot, never!
if i use aftermarket ECM like thundermax or if i use the powercommander the Ion sense feedback to ECM is not considered and the engine runs?

Thanks if someone can help me!.

is it possible that the ION Delphi sense realize that the engine is not good working and make the engine no run?

Fabioz, Welcome to the forum. To help you with your question, I would say probably not the case here. The Ion sensor circuit does not inhibit the engine from running. It sensors combustion pressures through coil secondary current flow. Crazy high compression ratio's can fake out the system and kick back timing when it is not Really needed. It does not inhibit spark completely, but only retards the spark timing. Anything that changes spark Duration (spark gap time in m/s) or secondary spark resistance, would change the true calculated "spark retard" toggle point.

So in your case, you have lower combustion pressures than normal due to compression release. My guess would be, the lower combustion pressures would instruct software to NEVER retard timing. It would be like the Ion feature was turned off and would not retard spark even IF it was needed to be retarded.

If you happen to have a SEST, you can turn off the feature entirely if you wanted to. There is a menu within the software that allows you to do that for special testing purposes. Something just like in this special case.

Note:
**I am not positive on this because I never tried it, but I believe if you were to disconnect the GY/BE wire coming out of the ION coil (Pin "B"), it will effectively disable ION sensing.
Worse case no damage will happen. Only possible problem would be you NEVER had any spark if the wire was disconnected. But I really don't think that will happen. I really think the ION retard info will just never reach the ECM. It may be worth a try. **

Thanks Hoople, this is a really skilled answer! But in this case i'm have bigger problem to find out the problem...

i can try to disable and see what happen! :57:

It may be skilled but i can't promise you it's right!!.. :p:p

Good luck & check back with how it turns out.

if the bike wont start i would think it is due to the fact the ecm reads the slowing of pulses from the crank position sensor when on the compression stroke to know when to fire the ignition, if it cant see the crank slow due to too compression releases on the cams it cant fire the ignition, that is why you cant just take a plug out to check spark, get an inductive spark tester and make sure its firing.

if the bike wont start i would think it is due to the fact the ecm reads the slowing of pulses from the crank position sensor when on the compression stroke to know when to fire the ignition, if it cant see the crank slow due to too compression releases on the cams it cant fire the ignition, that is why you cant just take a plug out to check spark, get an inductive spark tester and make sure its firing.

Now the questio is... How can S&S sell this kind of cams that doesn't work?
theese cams are selled for Dyna 2009! but if i use and the engine security system fails... i can't think they never tried to make work!

?

it may be something caused when fitting the cams but you will have to go through the process of elemination to diagnose, good luck

Back