free website stats program Help: Hoist & FatBob | Harley Davidson Forums

Help: Hoist & FatBob

DDogg

I purchased a motorcycle hoist which will lift 1500 lbs. It looks just like the one Smiitty has his FatBoy on. Question, I can't seem to find a level surface under the bike. My jiffy stand is in the way. When using a hoist, do you remove the stand? This just doesn't seem right. I tried to lift the bike, but the hoist is pushing against the stand. I don't want to remove the stand because then trying to lower the bike I'll have to have help on re-installing the jiffy stand. Are all stands in the way or I'm I up against something new with the FatBob. The bike is an 08. Has anyone tried to lift a FatBob with a hoist? I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm not going to lift the bike unless I'm absolutely sure pushing on the stand won't hurt. But like I said, it just doesn't look and feel right when I make contact with the hoist. I'm have never removed the stand and it works fine. Nothing has been changed on the bike.

I purchased a motorcycle hoist which will lift 1500 lbs. It looks just like the one Smiitty has his FatBoy on. Question, I can't seem to find a level surface under the bike. My jiffy stand is in the way. When using a hoist, do you remove the stand? This just doesn't seem right. I tried to lift the bike, but the hoist is pushing against the stand. I don't want to remove the stand because then trying to lower the bike I'll have to have help on re-installing the jiffy stand. Are all stands in the way or I'm I up against something new with the FatBob. The bike is an 08. Has anyone tried to lift a FatBob with a hoist? I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm not going to lift the bike unless I'm absolutely sure pushing on the stand won't hurt. But like I said, it just doesn't look and feel right when I make contact with the hoist. I'm have never removed the stand and it works fine. Nothing has been changed on the bike.

I'm not familiar with your lift, but did you know they make a lift adapter kit for the Dynas. The kit consist of poly block which will make the bike sit flat on a lift. They are available for about $25.00 from Harley.

Harley-Davidson | Accessories And Apparel | Genuine Motor Accessories

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. I knew I didn't have to remove the jiffy stand. Also, I told my wife that I bet I get an answer in less than an hour. I was right. God I love this site. I won't attempt anything I'm not sure of until I ask here at HD Talking.

I know this isn't an answer to your question but I use an ATV lift instead of a bike lift because it has a wider platform and I can perform any service without tying the bike down:D

Last edited:
I know this isn't an answer to your question but I use an ATV lift instead of a bike lift because it has a wider platform and I can perform any sevice without tying the bike down:D

Do you have a link or picture? This type of lift sounds like what I would like to have. This is my first Harley, so I'm learning from this site and would like to do most of the maintance myself. Owned bikes back in the 70's but heck, we just rode. Never bothered to learned anything about the bike(s) (Triumph's and Honda's) just rode. I'm getting different feed backs as far as changing fluids. On the stand? Or on a lift straight up. Any feed back on how and why is the best way. My FatBob sits so low, it would be nice to get it in the air to do repairs. Thanks SteveO

I don't have a link but I will take a pic and post it.I bought mine at an automotive flea market for $30.00:D

The dyna line has a few things hanging down that interfere with the lift. The dealer sells a kit that snaps on to the frame rails so it can be jacked up easily for about $25. Some use a piece of wood between the lift and the bike to do the same thing.

Dyna Lift Adapter - Harley Davidson Community

Hi DDOGG, I'd the same problem with my lift so I made up three blocks of wood, filed a groove in them for the frame tubes to sit in and glued some felt on them.Only took me about 20 minutes and the bike now sits rock solid on the stand, nothing can move it.

Tie the bike down I repeat Tie the bike down no madder how big or great your lify Tie the bike down.
We have had a few post from those that did not.
We do not tie it down to avoid what will happen most of the time nothing will happen , we tie it down to avoid what can happen. And as we all know what can happen will.
All we do not know is when.

I totally agree smitty, I always strap the bike down. I did'nt mention that as I have always taken it for granted that straping the bike is the norm.

Back