free website stats program HELP....clunking sound when feathering the clutch tin 1s | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP....clunking sound when feathering the clutch tin 1s

whacko

OK.....I need some help identifying if I have a problem or not. 2010 FXDC.....if I take off on my bike normally I do not hear any noise at all.....but if I release my clutch in first and have to pull it back in....like when maneuvering at slow speeds in a parking lot or in heavy traffic I hear and feel a clunk from the left side of my bike when I let the clutch back out. Basically when I am feathering the clutch I can hear and feel the clunk when letting the clutch back out. It is not a HUGE clunk but it is definately detectible. Is this normal? I brought this up with my dealer last summer when they did the 10k service and they said they would check the primary chain tension during the service......they said the primary chain tension was fine and they could not duplicate the noise. I had them do the 15k last November when storing it......mentioned it again and the bike is still making this noise. Any suggestions.........is it a problem or is it normal? I have 2 months left on waranty so want to get it fixed before running out of time!

OK.....I need some help identifying if I have a problem or not. 2010 FXDC.....if I take off on my bike normally I do not hear any noise at all.....but if I release my clutch in first and have to pull it back in....like when maneuvering at slow speeds in a parking lot or in heavy traffic I hear and feel a clunk from the left side of my bike when I let the clutch back out. Basically when I am feathering the clutch I can hear and feel the clunk when letting the clutch back out. It is not a HUGE clunk but it is definately detectible. Is this normal? I brought this up with my dealer last summer when they did the 10k service and they said they would check the primary chain tension during the service......they said the primary chain tension was fine and they could not duplicate the noise. I had them do the 15k last November when storing it......mentioned it again and the bike is still making this noise. Any suggestions.........is it a problem or is it normal? I have 2 months left on waranty so want to get it fixed before running out of time!
If you are riding the clutch it will make this noise, it is the pushrod making contact and is normal

Wow that was fast jack thanks for the reply......so you can feel this on your dyna if you are feathering the clutch.....like when maneuvering in a parking lot?

If you are riding the clutch it will make this noise, it is the pushrod making contact and is normal

Jack.....also to clarify I'm not talking about the clunk when shifting the bike into first.......talking about when the bike is already in 1st and feathering the clutch in and out I can feel and hear a clunking on the left side. Thanks again!

Wow that was fast jack thanks for the reply......so you can feel this on your dyna if you are feathering the clutch.....like when maneuvering in a parking lot?

Yep, This is the sound of the push rod against the clutch pack, I could get ALL my bikes to do this noise Never had any problems with it:s

It is possible that the clunk could be coming from the compensator

Brian

:s Remember to check your clutch adjustment and lube your cable , and you will be FINE:s

I have heard teh symptoms of a compensator problem was a bang on start up......meaning when you start the bike. I never hear that at all......only this barely detectable clunk from teh primary area when feathering the clutch in first gear.

I have heard teh symptoms of a compensator problem was a bang on start up......meaning when you start the bike. I never hear that at all......only this barely detectable clunk from teh primary area when feathering the clutch in first gear.

:s They ALL do that:p

Back