free website stats program Help, can't get my wheels clean.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Help, can't get my wheels clean....

08FatBob

I have a Fat Bob and have been having some difficulty in getting the wheels good and clean. I was turned on to the S100 Polishing Soap which works good but doesn't seem to get the job complete. I rub and rinse, rub and rinse, and rub and rinse some more and it doesn't ever seem to get them completely clean. No matter how many times I repeat the sponge always comes away dirty. Add to that the spotting that remains afterwards on occasion. Anyone out there have another product or different method in using the soap that works?? Any advise is appreciated.

I have a Fat Bob and have been having some difficulty in getting the wheels good and clean. I was turned on to the S100 Polishing Soap which works good but doesn't seem to get the job complete. I rub and rinse, rub and rinse, and rub and rinse some more and it doesn't ever seem to get them completely clean. No matter how many times I repeat the sponge always comes away dirty. Add to that the spotting that remains afterwards on occasion. Anyone out there have another product or different method in using the soap that works?? Any advise is appreciated.

I saw on another thread to get the oil stains off the cast aluminum cases that SPAM works, I haven't tried it yet, but makes sense, WD40 might also work (I think it has a little Kerosene/Machine Oil base)...still have to spend a weekend experimenting with this (try underside of engine as your inconspicuous test area. :57:

they're the stock cast aluminum wheels Fourdogs

I have that type on my Tahoe the Aluminum wheels that is....and I have had great luck with Mother Mag and Aluminum Polish. on the bike I have chrome and use Mothers as well Good Luck

I have used Gel Gloss to great success.
It was made for fine surfaces with Gel coatings so you know it won't damage something as hard (relatively speaking) as chrome or aluminum.

I have aluminum wheels and they sparkle. This stuff also protects them very well and allows for easier clean-ups later.

2upangle.jpg

It was made for fine surfaces with Gel coatings so you know it won't damage something as hard (relatively speaking) as chrome or aluminum.

I have aluminum wheels and they sparkle. This stuff also protects them very well and allows for easier clean-ups later.

2upangle.jpg

All those products are good for smooth or clear coated aluminum. The problem is with the sandcast dull raw aluminum finish. It is a surface like a moonscape up close, the pores fill with brake dust, road grime and worst still road tar, road salts etc. The trick is to clean all the surface effluvium first making the raw aluminum finish even more susceptable unless coated with clean oily residue to make it easier to clean the next time. The Pam idea or WD solvent idea kinda makes sense as it cuts petroleum based tars & oils, the question being is it clean enough or trapping dirt under the oil film it leaves behind. I have not sat down and tried these heavily yet, just research. :newsmile020:

there are a couple of products that are more agressive that are used by MX and MTB riders to remove dirt and stuff, the problem is do not get it near your paint or laquered items as it will dull them faster than you can say boo.
Hi grade Citrus degreaser from finish line avaiable from most cycle shops, or MUC OFF this stuff i refuse to let near my MTB let alone my bike this stuff remove's grease from bearing's and remove's allsorts of mud and crud faster than any S100 but its agressive and ruins laquer, so use with care but it will clean wheels.
the other is automotive wheel cleaner called wonder wheels again its aggressive and removes brake dust on car wheels and returns them to spotless but again care needed

Thanks Hobbit, nice BOOutiful touch to the autumn season...it is sunny and warm in SoCal (as always) but without the Santa Ana 50MPH winds. Fires weren't close to us fortunately as I am only 10 miles from the coast.

2upangle.jpg

Found the Gel Gloss today at home depot.. about $6.50.

But I am confused... someone wrote SPAM to clean the wheels, and smeone wrote PAM.... was SPAM a typo? *I can see myself rubbing the wheels with lunch meat in a can, cuz someone on the internet said too!* must drive the dogs in the neighborhood crazy!

Once I get mine real clean, I will go over them with the Gel Gloss....

Back