free website stats program Help ankle pain, says it's not my bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Help ankle pain, says it's not my bike

AZDave

Well I have been riding now for about 4 years and recently over the past 6 to 8 months both of my ankles have really started hurting and hurting all the time. I Went to my family doc got x-rays and nothing was out of whack. He sent me to a Podiatrist who ordered me up some shoe inserts at $500.00 a pair but I still ache. I rode yesterday and today they are really hurting. The physicians are wounding why both started at once with no common injury or accident. This morning I woke up and thought, I wonder if it’s my bike. The braking, shifting and balancing we all must do if we ride puts our ankles through a lot. I know it’s a stretch but it is the only thing that affects both ankles. I was just wondering if any of my fellow riders have had this issue in their lives and did you come up with a fix? I am tired of the aching. Thanks for listening.

Wow...even the experts are baffled...has there been any lifestyle changes in the last 6-8 months that could've brought this on? Change bikes, foot rest/mount, shoes, or job...? So does the pain only happen during/after a ride?

Hi Iceman
No major changes at all, and living in AZ we get to ride every week. Same boots, same bike, same highway pegs. The ache is all the time but worse after riding.

You'd think if it was a joint ailment then the knees, hips, elbows, etc. would be having sensation too. I'm no Dr., but understand what it's like to lose use of body parts (bad knees & shoulders myself)...have they sent you to see Orthopedics?

Did your doctor do a blood test for goute? (did not see how old/young you are)

This was my first thought. You might also change your footboard inserts, with the hot dry weather where you live they may be shot.

Did the dr suggest any kind of therapy? Do you have pain walking long distances? Try moving your feet on the floor boards as you ride? Did the Dr check the pulse in your feet and reflexes, do you have the same fealing on bottoms of both feet, and finally have you had a back injury ?

Being as it hurts worse after riding I would ride less...may be repetitive injury. Do you use the heel and toe shift setup? When you move your feet to the highway pegs, do you have room to add additional stirrup to help distribute the pressure and not have to use the whole leg to hold up?

Back