free website stats program HELP! All of sudden runnin horrible.. | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP! All of sudden runnin horrible..

murph76

Been a while since I've been on here due to it taking 90+days to get my tins painted!! Pulled em off at the end of May and just got em back last week. Anyway here's my issue, reinstalled everything, ran fine until today logged around 350miles since I've been back up and running. Then all of a sudden today it starts falling on its face, like it was running out of fuel. Checked my trip meter and it was close to refueling but still should of had a bit more to go. So i refueled and all was well to the house (appro 3miles). Fire it back up to go a friends and get down the road and again the issue happens. Back to house I go, the smell of fuel is heavy now, but no leaks on the fuel lines!! But fuel is all down the side of my freshly painted tank!!! It was coming back out the filler cap, garage smells like 91octane. Was fine at idle and now that's not even the case, almost stahls out

Now I gotta take the fam out to eat and its gonna bug the (Edit) out of me. Pinched vent line under the tank possible? Any ideas????

Thanks

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check the vent line first thing and the vent line fitting on the tank,even check the fuel cap. Sounds to me like there is a pressure build up causing the problem. If it does it again, just loosen the gas cap and see if that makes a difference. Did you flush the tank after getting it back from paint? Sometimes there may be foreign material left over from paint that just needed time to settle in the tank.

Then all of a sudden today it starts falling on its face, like it was running out of fuel.

Take a quick look for codes. If none are logged, the next thing on the list I would check is fuel pump pressure. That is a must to know on an FI bike. It must be correct or fuel delivery & performance will be all over the map.

PetieJ may be on to the problem...when they painted the tins and tank they may have got some masking or other junk in the tank, and of course when you emptied out the tank, any deposits that settled to the bottom may have been picked up and clogged the fuel inlet sock and filter. The fuel pump and hoses may have been abraded with all the moving around and have holes or leaks. And if you loosen the fuel cap and it runs fine, the venting may be clogged as well. Certainly a lot of things to check.

Thanks all,
That was one of the first steps I attempted was releasing the fuel cap, no difference.

Siiiiiiigh, and no in my happiness just to have my tins back I did not flush it just did a visual in it.....rookie

How can I check for codes, i have a digital dash will something display thru it or gotta go to the dealer?

How hard is it to flush the fuel system on a FI, I have a PC III installed would that provide me with fuel PSI if I plug a lap top up to it?

Ok so Murphy's Law, I followed the guide easy enough.. only when I do it my dash pulls up Auto Adjust Cyl Set.. Its a dakota digital dash, dont know what these mean yet but i did manage to change my Cyl to 2... gotta look these up now.

I'd dump that fuel first off. Try dumping it through some kind of filter just for personal knowledge.

@ TQuentin1, followed the guidance you provided cuz it sounded dead on like what was going on, easy enough job to do also... minus my 11yr old shop help with draining the fuel...entertaining tho.

However, didnt find any holes in the tubing on the pump but did pull the filter and gonna pick one up from the dealership since I got it out. Here's what it looked like along with a pic of the bottom of the sock, and a side shot of the scoot

Attachments

• IMG_9920.jpg
    IMG_9920.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9921.jpg
    IMG_9921.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9925.jpg
    IMG_9925.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 44
Back