free website stats program Helmet Lock | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet Lock

Drew

I know if someone really wants to steal a helmet, they will...erego, bringing it with you is probably the only sure-fire way to prevent it being stolen.

With that said... what would be a good helmet lock? Sometimes when I go on quick errands, it would be nice to leave my helmet on my bike and feel that there is at least some deterrent to any would-be hooligans. Anyhoo... any inexpensive yet practical helmet locks out there? I have bags on my bike, if that makes a difference.

thanks
Drew

Try an inexpensive bicycle cable lock.

I have one that neatly coils into a plastic puck that I picked up at a MC show. But, I can't remember the brand.

I had the same thought bought a new 3/4 helmet and paid good for it and did not want it stolen went to dealer found helmet lock 18.00 but before I put it on went to hardware store and replaced tamper proof screws with s.s. allen heads in case mite want to move it.

Just to keep someone from quickly walking off with the helmet when I run into a store I have a small padlock that I put through the D rings and around one of the mirrors. If I am staying longer and don't want to take my jacket with me I have a 3 foot cable that I put through one arm of the jacket and through the helmet (I wear a full face helmet) and the cable is wrapped around the rear shock and secured witht he same small padlock. I would like to be able to lock the helmet to the highway pegs but it wants to lay against the hot pipes on the bike. If the helmet could be hung on the highway pegs it would be less visable.

Well, in the old days, if I didn't want to carry my leathers around, I just rolled my bike onto my leathers and then locked the bike. Not a perfect solution, but it seemed to work for me. :s
Ugly John

I have the H D Helmet lock mounted on my crash bar. Mounted on top of clutch side faceing toward the back. Holds two helmets.

Chrome helmet lock that mounts to 1" or 1 1/4" tubing is at the HD dealer for $19, pretty safe investment. You may be able to get it a couple dollars cheaper at Cycle Gear or others, but why bother and besides periodically if you get your HD dealers newsletter they offer 10 to 20% discount coupons periodically. :s

You can get pair of small chrome bar w/ eyes for $9 or so for slipping thru D rings so two helmets can be attached on 1 helmet lock if you sometimes want to "share the love". :D

I have the HD helmet Lock :D, works great . I used different screws then the ones that came with the lock , mine came with the screw that you could tighten but you could not loosen , I changed to allen screws .

Another vote for the HD lock, not because it's hd but because it works ! Just remember to put a little graphite or lube in it occassionally especially after a rain storm of epic proportions. Otherwise it can be a little cranky to get unlocked. Don't ask how I know. I can put two helmets on mine by Placing then open sections together and then putting both D rings through the hook. A litttle harder to get locked and unlocked but I don't have to remember the extension loop.

Ride safe

Bubba

Back