free website stats program Hello from North Texas | Harley Davidson Forums

Hello from North Texas

TexasSlider

Lifelong rider, but had a 15 year hiatus to build our business. My wife is definitely NOT a rider, but she allows me a couple passions, the other being 50s Fords.
Until a few weeks back, I’ve never owned or ridden anything newer than a 97 RK. Have an 02 RK now, was dragged kicking and screaming into the TC scene. I’m definitely an old timer when it comes to style, and tend towards the classic Shriners Duo Glide look: hard bags, sprung solo seat, low rise pull backs, windshield, true duals fishtails, and 50s pastel classic colors.
My 02 is a bright red Firefighters tribute bike, and my 97 is a work in progress.

The TC had sat for years and cosmetically deteriorated a bit with surface rust on some front end brightwork and around the hand controls where paint has peeled. Simple fixes, but I’m going to replace the bars with a set of WO 518 pullbacks and some baffled true duals fishtails. A police air seat rig is fixin to go on and a 1” rear drop will help my 28” inseam..
Will pull the cam chest cover off on Monday and take a peek inside.

JMHO '02 is the best year for early models. Last year for the Timken left side crank bearing so near bullet proof bottom end; hot forged crank/wheels, Delphi ignition if EFI replalced the MM unit.

If opening the cam chest, pick up a set of CYCO cam chain tensiners first; your there, replace the OEM tensioners which are prone to failure without warning. If the previous owner has not upgraded intake and exhaust to hi-flow units, that should also be on the agenda. Next steps would be to install a bolt in cam set like the S&S 509, get the new package dyno tuned from a tuner that uses the Powervision and sells licenses. Depends on funds and how faryou want to go. I sold my '02 FLHT last year; it was a "built" bike, an all bore 107" carbureted motor that made 124TQ/110HP. It has been a year or so and I still miss that bike. Good luck with whatever path you take with the Road King.;)

Back