free website stats program Hello from Boise, Idaho - Question on Used Sportster Price | Harley Davidson Forums

Hello from Boise, Idaho - Question on Used Sportster Price

Hello fellow enthusiasts. I've been dreaming of owning a 1200cc sportster for a long time. Since I was about 16. Going on 28 this year. I've watched my brother and step father riding their HDs around for almost the same period of time. And now I'm on the hunt for the bike I've been wanting and I may have found it.

My neighbor is selling her 2001 sportster that I've been drooling over for the last year. I told her if she was ever looking to sell it then she should give me first dibs. The only problem is I feel like the asking price is a bit high. She did say she was negotiable on the price, but I think we're too far apart on price points to close a deal. She's wanting $7000 for a highly customized 2001 sportster with only 9000 miles on it.

I can't post a link to it yet as I'm new.

What do you all think? Thanks.

Re: Hello from Boise, Idaho.

I'd say keep looking. That is almost double what KBB says it sells for. Good luck.
WAP.gif

Welcome to The Forum, IMO that price is high. Can you live with the custom parts or would you rather start from scratch and a warranty to boot?

Thanks for the feedback. From what I gathered I figured it may be high. I really do like the look. I'd be willing to go $5k, but not much more than that.

Sportsters NEW would be the way to go. Right now with Borrowing $$$ rates LOW...

I Know 2001 is about 13 Years Old.:newsmile077:

Even if well kept with a ton of Extras , it is OLD...

The newer RUBBER MOUNTED didn't come out until 2005...

THAT in It's Self IS worth a NEWER or Bran New Bike....

Believe me. I am an older biker, Rode Them All...

I loved my 1995, 883 , even converted it to 1200...... BUT NO Rubber Mounted Engine. Lots of Shaaaakkkke that is NOT in the newer ones.

Think RUBBER MOUNTED. It will,,,, that is WILL ride Better on YOUR Body and Keep you a young man.
it will also be Worth more on re-sale.

IF you find a Low mile 05 and up, you will Love it...

signed....BUBBIE

Ok, so it seems I may have another option. My brother is looking to sell his 2006 1200cc custom low. It has 5800 miles on it but has some road damage from being laid over. It's Mechanically 100% but would need a new gas tank and a new front fender. He had the repairs estimated at $700. He would sell it to me for $2000. It doesn't have the options in it that I like. It's completely stock, but he does have saddle bags for it. I'd really like to have forward controls, drag bar, and a peanut tank on it. I have a pretty good idea what the tank and handle bars would run, but I'm not sure on how much it'd cost to get the controls moved forward.

So thoughts on option 2?

Ok, so it seems I may have another option. My brother is looking to sell his 2006 1200cc custom low. It has 5800 miles on it but has some road damage from being laid over. It's Mechanically 100% but would need a new gas tank and a new front fender. He had the repairs estimated at $700. He would sell it to me for $2000. It doesn't have the options in it that I like. It's completely stock, but he does have saddle bags for it. I'd really like to have forward controls, drag bar, and a peanut tank on it. I have a pretty good idea what the tank and handle bars would run, but I'm not sure on how much it'd cost to get the controls moved forward.

So thoughts on option 2?

I own a 2006 R 1200 Sportster...

You can do More with that bike as you can get the fuel tank (Peanut) and front fender... savings on the money and ADD as you go. The difference in $$$$$ is IN Your Favor.

IF Sound like you said, you'll have a MUCH BETTER Newer Bike and those are LOW miles, AND at a really LOW cost...

Exhaust and air,,, forward controls added...:s

signed....BUBBIE

Back