free website stats program hello everybody ronnie from li ny - Screw Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

hello everybody ronnie from li ny - Screw Removal

o.mar

hello everyone this site is great ive just been cruising around it for a while and posted the question about my primary torx without telling about myself i live on long island ny smack dab in between city and montauk just bought 2000 1200c sportster and i love it i always rode the other bikes and never had a problem with em and still dont i bought the sportster and im hooked but my question is has anyone used the grabit screw extracter on the t27 primary cover screws?

It is fairly common for the torx screws on the derby cover to get stuck best thing to do is to ensure you have the correct t27 to get them out if they are being a wee bit difficult i use an impact driver which always gets them moving for me
However if it still will not move or the head is damaged simply use a drill to remove the head of the screw you will then be able to remove the derby cover and the shank of the screw will undo by hand
once the tension is off the screw they are easy to screw out
On reassembly use some anti seize on the back side of the taper on the screw heads to help prevent lock up in the future

Brian

O.mar

Rubyreb gave you great advice. I replaced the torx with chrome allen screws on both my bikes. Not too expensive to do and never stripped another one.

thanks i will give it a try with the impact driver and see what happens would of tried today but its raining pretty bad and the shed is just to small to work in and yes i used two different t27 on it and went to sears and bought another one now i have three if you need one its yours thanks everyone

Welcome to The Forum, use anti sieze on the new bolts when you reinstall your cover, a bit at the head and the threads it will seal the threads but make removal easier:s

Back