free website stats program Heim joint shifter linkage | Harley Davidson Forums

Heim joint shifter linkage

Grillfish I changed mine over a month ago and love them. I think that it shifts smoother. I told my buddy about the new linkage and a week later his factory shifter fell apart.
kemo

The hemi joints are great. When that standard shift rod fails it is not much fun, although, with a couple of well placed zip ties, you can limp it home. When the hemi joints fail, they stay together, just rattle.

I know this is kinda weird, but heim joints do come in chrome, stainless and other materials, only the socket part has a bit of bronze or brass, so they should match linkage. Did you try the HD Parts and Accessories catalog for matching items or Küryakyn, Drag Specialties, Custom Chrome and the like? "All" it takes is money and time...yikes! :newsmile093:

Most of the H-D shift rods have the heim joints and of course they are chrome. For about $130 you have a choice of many different designs.

I hope to get them soon. I did see them in SS, chrome, etc.. from other sellers on the web, but wanted to try out the $9 option first. Then I might switch over to a nice linkage and a nice chorme set when I save up some $$$.

I went to south FL to visit my family this past weekend. I never really thought about it before, but being 200 miles away from your home... I was thinking it would be my luck if the OEM ones would break. They didn't and it was anice 400 mile weekend on the RG. I'll put the new ones on when I get them.

Ride safe and have fun.

Well, the heim joints arrived today and I installed them. 15 minute job. Everything works great. I do need to find 2 shorter bolts as they stick out a little more than I want, but thats an easy change. I didn't use my jam nuts as the length was exactly like stock when not using them. I'll prob add a 1/8" or 1/4" spacer in the rear between the heim joint and shifter arm to straighten out the angle a little, but still isn't bad. All in all, you can't beat $9 bucks (maybe a few more with some of the items mentioned above) and 15 min job. Also, the ebay seller was great. Very fast shipping.

100_0160.jpg

As a suggestion, you might try getting a couple of Acorn nuts to tidy up the appearance of the linkage ends. May have to cut off a bit of the bolt if it is too long, but I think the Acorns look OK.

TQ

Attachments

• Shift linkage end.jpg
    Shift linkage end.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, TQ. I was thinking the same thing.
I went to Lowes last evening but couldn't find any acorn nuts that fit the 5/16-24 bolt. They had chrome acron nuts for 5/16-18 bolt. I might just change the front bolt to 5/16-18 x 1 1/4, use a new nylock and then add the chrome acorn nut. The rear I need to stick with 5/16-24 since it threads into the shifter arm. Thus, will look at HD or Ace later this week.

Thanks again.

I'l get out on the bike maybe today after the rain stops and test it out.

Ride safe andhave fun!

Thanks, TQ. I was thinking the same thing.
I went to Lowes last evening but couldn't find any acorn nuts that fit the 5/16-24 bolt. They had chrome acron nuts for 5/16-18 bolt. I might just change the front bolt to 5/16-18 x 1 1/4, use a new nylock and then add the chrome acorn nut. The rear I need to stick with 5/16-24 since it threads into the shifter arm. Thus, will look at HD or Ace later this week.

Thanks again.

I'l get out on the bike maybe today after the rain stops and test it out.

Ride safe andhave fun!

You might just bite the bullet and go to HD for the Acorns. I think if you want both ends to match, you can thread the bolt through the shift lever and use the Acorn from the outside.

TQ

Back