free website stats program Heavy Breather - yay or nay? | Harley Davidson Forums

Heavy Breather - yay or nay?

MelUK

I'm off to the States in 2 weeks, and can pick up a heavy breather for my 09 FXDB for half the UK price. I don't think I'd pay full UK price for one but am sorely tempted at half price.

What do you guys reckon? My main thing is I'd like to clear some space for my right knee - I don't like it rubbing the air cleaner. Also, I've heard they can improve performance very slightly.

On the downside, why the heck are they pink? Couldn't the filter itself be grey or black?!? Also, I read an owner review last night where it was described as a "edit bug-catching fashion accessory". :D

So, what are the pros and cons over the normal screaming eagle filter? (I've had stage 1 done from new)

Cheers,
Mel

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Hobbit

Well I've got V&H slip-ons, the SE air cleaner and an SE Pro Super Tuner already. So you reckon the small performance gains are justification enough?

Didn't NRHS state that their dyno figures showed that the rain sock caused a fairly significant drop in performance, and recommended it not be used for day to day running? Don't want to seem petty, but couldn't one use any other non-pink oils? :D

Looking forward to getting to Florida anyway, and collecting the Le Pera Silhouette Solo seat that's been waiting for me the last 8 weeks!

Found the NRHS quote in a forum, but it seems it's kind of third hand:

"A word about the "rain" socks... Dan from NRHS told me about a customer they had once that insisted on running the sock. After many runs on the dyno they weren't happy with the results and NRHS finally convinced the customer to let them pull the sock off. They realized significant gains (5-10 hp sticks in my mind, but I could be wrong)"

My wife is Colombian and has family in Florida, so I'm buying parts online and getting them sent to the in-laws. When I visit, I'll stuff them all in a suitcase and hope for the best. :s

I'm also planning to buy half a dozen standard foot pegs at £10 each. Then I can take off these scratched up Diamond Black pegs and go back to the stubby stock pegs, and scratch them up til the cows come home!!!

While I'm there I might try to get some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and Simple Green - I'm determined to get rid of those engine case stains! :D

Yep, after 2 days in Florida, we're heading south to Medellin in Colombia for 10 days. Love it!

I'm really looking forward to the Silhouette seat. I got mine just before you got your Barebones, so I was pleased when you got on so well with yours. Can't wait.

I have to say, I thought the FXDB was a keeper, but for some reason the staining of the silver paint within weeks has really bugged me and lessened my enthusiasm for the bike and the brand. I too will be watching the new bikes, and also keeping an eye on what Triumph come up with. Quite fancy a tricked out Rocket III!!

Anyway, will get on ebay and get the Heavy Breather ordered. Oh, and some bigger suitcases! :D

Not bad but I prefer this.

palatina_rs_rocket_3_28.jpg

:ap

I can say for sure it helps with your knee. I just switched and it is so much more comfortable. As far as performance goes, not sure I noticed much of a difference but it seem to smooth it out a bit. I have V&H Big Radius an SE Tuner with a custom tune.

Back