free website stats program Heavy Breather - reflash ECM? | Harley Davidson Forums

Heavy Breather - reflash ECM?

Cragger

I have a 2017 FXDL Dyna Low-Rider. Upgraded to Stage III with SE Nightstick exhaust and Vance & Hines FuelPak FP3. I still have the stock air cleaner (with High-flow air intake cover), but with a K&N high flow filter. I'd like to swap the stock air cleaner for a SE Heavy Breather. If I do this, will I need a retune/reflash?

You have the FP3, so you can do all the mapping of the ECU yourself. I would just send the configuration of the bike to V&H along with what download and flashing of the ECU you have already done. Ask them if your current download and flash has already compensated for the increased air flow. I would think that you would be fine, but with the FP3 it is so easy to do yourself, that any changes you make just need a new download and flashing of the ECU.

I loved that fueler/mapping tool when I had one with my '11 Softail Heritage Classic.

Cheers,

TQ

To be sure I am on the same page with the OP, the only Stage III kit I am aware of for the 2017 FXDL is PN27548-10C and includes high compression pistons and 259E cams. So, if that is the case I would have suggested that the OP pass on the FP3 and go with the Power Vision and dyno tune; the compression and cams being the motivator. However, since that appears to be a OBEd and the OP has the FP3, TQ has pointed the OP in the right direction.

The FP3 allows the user to select a "map" from the V&H library that best matches the users configuration and the ECM can be flashed with that map. That map can be improved via the auto tune feature as the OP rides the bike and continues to refine the tune. Check the link; it will help the OP DIY the tune.

The SE Heavy Breather is a good upgrade; the forward facing filter adds a bit of a "ram" effect and the intake runner adds plenum volume that will help with cylinder fill with the 259E cams.;)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=v&h+fuelpak+3&view=detail&mid=23FC9676BC18820DDE6A23FC9676BC18820DDE6A&FORM=VIRE

Thanks for the replies. The Stage III for the '17 FXDL actually uses the 585 Cams with high compression pistons.

I sent V&H my info and asked them if there is a better stock map. And now that I know more about auto-tune, my guess si as long as I do that, I likely will be in good shape.

The information provided here was extremely helpful and appreciated.

I got the wrong Stage III kit PN; the PN previously posted is the Stage III kit for the Low Rider S which comes from the factory with the 110" motor. The OP had PN 92500035 Stage III kit that upgrades displacement from 103" to110" and does run the milder 585 cams and lower compression pistons.

Cragger, there are about 3000 maps on the FP3 server. Once you have the app downloaded, you will have access the all of them. Select the map that is closest to your configuration; flash the ECM and then proceed to auto tune to fine tune the map. The link to the video in my previous will walk you through the process; very straight forward.

A few clarifications, and then the reply I received from Vance & Hines. And thanks again for the replies here - they were very helpful - I've been out for a few rides with Autotune and its a nice feature.

The Stage III kit for the '17 Dyna Low Rider was difficult to find, and it is part number 92500028. It was a 103 to 103 upgrade with more compression and and a 585 cam. At the time there was no upgrade kit with more displacement, but HD does now show a upgrade kit, not yet released, 92500039, that is a 103 to 110 conversion.

I had my dealer perform the 9200028 upgrade, and they installed the FP3 and applied a V&H map.

Here is the replay from V&H:
If you change the air intake, all you would need to do is re-flash your base map. This will clear the ECU's adaptive fuel values, forcing it to re-learn for the new intake. To do this, go to 'view/edit maps' and press the map in blue. Then, press the lightening bolt in the upper right corner.

FWIW the only Dyna model 92500035 is valid for is the Breakout. There are so many Stage III kits, I spent a lot of time looking at each one only to find it would not work with the Low Rider, and at the time the only kit that fits the Dyna Low Rider was the 92500028.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Breakout is a softail, not a Dyna.;)
You can't go by what the MoCo says will fit what model, most Stage kits will fit most models once you dig into the details and find out why the MoCo says a kit won't fit as it usually has nothing to do with mechanics. As an example the SE catalog shows the 92500028 kit for '14-'16 touring models and kit PN 9200023A for '10 and up Dynas except FXDLS but kit 92500028 was installed on your 2017 Dyna. Almost any of the Stage III, IV or V kits would fit your bike as well; can't always believe what the catalog says.:confused:

Don't know what the question was to V&H but that was a pretty poor reply as you changed cams and added compression. Still, since you are running auto tune, you should be able to end up with a decent tune. Good luck.;)

The V&H info was actually good. My dealer installed the Stage III upgrade and the FP3, and downloaded a map for the FP3 (which address the new compression and cams). My request here, and to them, was about what was necessary if I add a heavy breather.

Ya your original question did go a little sideways and off topic.

IMHO adding more air to the mix will lean it out and some teeeking to get the correct fuel mixture will be needed.

A re-flash and new map and tune that’s compatable to your application and you should be good to go.

I can’t speak on the new models but the older ones were quit restrictive when it comes to air flow through a stock air cleaner.

Last edited:
The V&H info was actually good. My dealer installed the Stage III upgrade and the FP3, and downloaded a map for the FP3 (which address the new compression and cams). My request here, and to them, was about what was necessary if I add a heavy breather.

Autotune.;)

BTW, listening to a dealer tech can sometimes be fatal.:eek: Best to do your due diligence before making motor decisions. For future reference, a forum like this is usually a good place to start and hear from those that have "been there, done that'.:cool:

Last edited:
Back