free website stats program Heated Gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Heated Gear

glider.

BOT Machine
There's been a few questions about heated gear lately now that the temps are dropping.

I found that the HD dealer sells what I believe is made by Gerbing but at a premium price above the Gerbings themselves. I got my gloves and temp controller at a BMW dealer in the area much cheaper than the Harley counterparts.

"FifthGear" posted this link for great prices on heated gear...

Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing!

I bought the G3 gloves which are more flexible than the other model they make and got the temp controller with it also. They also make heated jacket liners and pants as well as socks too. The gloves far surpass the heated grips because they are heated on the back of the glove where the cold air hits your hand when riding.

Here's the Gerbing web page.

Gerbing's Heated Clothing // The World's Warmest Clothing!

A little trick I learned with the heated gloves.
Plug in and let them warm up as the bike idles in the cold at first start. Once they are warm, you can ride off and they stay nice and warm as opposed to letting them heat up as you ride in the cold.

As far as the connector for the heated gear I mounted it under the nose of the seat behind the rear cylinder of the motor. There's openings there to run the wire through the frame pan and used a rubber covered adel clamp to mount the plug itself in. Inconspicuous and looks like it came from the factory.

RK13jack.jpg

So, do these gloves plug into the "pig tail" used for the battery tender:dknow? (Forgive another "mrs2cool dumb question" just remember I'm old:bigsmiley28: and I'm new to motorclyles:small3d015:)

I'm older than you:D

Gerbing makes a pigtail that converts the battery tender pigtail to the hook up needed for the gloves or you can run a separate pigtail just for the gloves.

They are listed in Gerbings book as "Coax/SAE Type Plug Adapters". ( $5 )

CXCA.jpg

Actually you can use that part above to plug in your battery tender line on the right end in the pic and the left end plugs into the Gerbing pigtail on the bike being it is a male end and do away with the battery tender pigtail, making it a dual service plug/pigtail.

Mr. Data, I had an additional pigtail added to my battery with the termination on the left side of the bike because I was told that it was not adviseable to use the battery tender pigtail on the right side due to the fuse capacity not being compatible with the heated gear.

Have you heard anything to this affect, or was I duped??

You were told correct but if you have the pigtail for the heated gear, the inline fuse is rated higher than the battery charger pigtail so the heated gear pigtail could be used for both unlike the opposite way around which would more than likely pop the fuse in the charger pigtail if using the heated gear in there.

Best way is to check the wire sizes on both pigtails to see if they are the same size and go from there.

Back