free website stats program Headlight Relay 09 Sportster - Load ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight Relay 09 Sportster - Load ?

Kondor

Put a couple of "excellent" LED running lights on the highway bars of my 09 1200L Sporty. ( Superbriteleds.com ) They look and work great but headlight is very yellow compared to the LEDs. I purchased a couple of LED H4 headlight bulbs with intent to replace the regular bulb. LEDs will not light up. Power to headlamp plug is good. LEDs work if I test them with a 12V battery. Sooooo, question is, is the headlamp relay operation dependent upon the actual load of the bulb. A regular H4 of 12V - 55 Watts would put about a 4.5 amp load back on the relay. The H4 LEDs only put about a quarter of that. Is the relay not closing when the LED is in the lampsocket? Any ideas? I'm not electrically educated enough to completely understand loads and feed back loads.

I'm not an expert, but I do believe the load is not enough. A load equalizer may solve the problem, hopefully some of the "experts" will chime in to help. Good Luck!

Take a look in the self help section of the forum, I believe this issue has been covered. I believe Russ has you covered tho.

Usually when purchasing bulbs, the parts store expert should be able to help. You usually can not just remove O.E. bulbs and install LED with out updating with additional component for LED.

Back