free website stats program Headlight Burning Out Excessively... | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight Burning Out Excessively...

I have an 08 fxdc and just burned out my 3rd. HD headlight, and 1 after market light. I always have my brights on during the day for better visability. I have had the electrical system checked and everything was ok. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Could You be touching the glass part of the bulb? if you touch the glass your finger prints will etch the glass and shorten bulb .

Excess vibration at certain speeds will cause the bulbs to fail. I was constantly replacing the left passing lamp bulb in my Springer, never the right, only the left.

Always been very careful not to touch the bulb. I have gone through (3) H-4 replacement bulbs and 1 after market and I's getting ready to put in a new bulb. There has not been any sign of overheating, scorching, or melting.

Check to make sure your headlight is also tight. Seems to me there was an issue with some rivets coming loose on one model, but I don't remember which one it was. Also I always use bulb grease in the terminal to assure no looseness and good continuity there. I've had good luck with Sylvania "LL" Long life bulbs, they may be constructed around a little higher voltage rating, which will allow longer life also.

I have had the electrical system checked and everything was ok.

I know that's what they told you, but I would place a voltmeter across the battery and hold an RPM of ~ 3200 and see what the peak voltage is. Check to see what it is yourself. Try to use a quality meter on the 20 volt scale in order to read to 2 places..

I have similar issues on my 08 Streetglide. It always burns out the high beam filament, never the low beam. Since I run my high beam during the day, I was thinking the high beam filament just has a shorter lifespan because of the higher wattage it carries. It is a frustrating, and expensive, issue having to replace the bulb so often.

Back