free website stats program headlamp dim on low beam | Harley Davidson Forums

headlamp dim on low beam

mikefxst

Banned
I have an 'o5 fxst i had the headlamp replaced to a H5006 assembly i am running what appears to be a white/black/and yellow 3 wire terminal system from the wires coming into the headlamp. the problem i am having is that with the low beam on it is as bright as running in front of the bike with a cigerette lighter. the high beam is ok but could use to be a little brighter. this all happened right after a rock hit the headlamp shattering the lense and causing both terminals to contact shorting out the bulb entirely. I do have one extra wire that is connected to the housing itself for ground but after trying to attach it with the other black wire and by itself with out the other black wire nothing changed. could this be a problem in the dimmer switch itself. i figured the low beam would eventually blow if it were a short and or not work at all. the high beam has never blown. but why would the low beam be so dim? and to be correct which wires are supposed to be whre the yellow i believe is at the top with the black on the right and white on the left?

Last edited:
Usually a dimly illuminated bulb will be the result of a bad ground or defective bulb. Also check the condition of the wires in the bulb plug itself.

Here's the softail wiring diags for checking out the wiring furnished by Joyflyin.

Softail Instrument Wiring - Harley Davidson Community

Choose the #13 down on the list.

headlightwiring-1.jpg

the only problem is is the hard line that is supplied from the harness for the ground i removed that and grounded it right to the headlamp housing and it was still the same quality illumination.

Possible that the forks are not well grounded to the frame. There's usually a lug under one of the riser bolts that will furnish a ground to the front end through a wire. Take a piece of 14 gauge wire and put one end on the headlight shell and the other on the neg of the battery or somewhere on the engine where you can get a good ground and see if the light gets bright then.
If it does explore the lug under the riser bolt to see if it is there and connected properly.

Back