free website stats program Headlamp Bulb Longevity | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlamp Bulb Longevity

oldhippie

My Ultra Classic is approaching 80,000 kms (50,000 miles) and I just changed my headlamp bulb for the 4th time due to the high beam burning out. I always run with the highs on in daytime as I've found a near zero occurrence of oncoming traffic trying foolish passing maneuvers compared to running low beams in daylight hours.
My OE bulb lasted just under 15,000 miles. I replaced that while on the road with a Sylvania Silverstar that only lasted a hair over 3000 miles. Stopped buying Silverstars for any of my vehicles since I found they don't last very long for the premium price you pay. That bulb was replaced with one of my used Thorn bulbs that were OE from a '85 Mazda GLC that I had and had replaced its headlamp bulbs with 100/55 Hella's. That Thorn bulb lasted almost 4300 miles. Replaced that with the second spare Thorn bulb which I just replaced today with a basic Sylvania bulb. The 2nd used Thorn bulb lasted 21,000 miles. Of course that one had to burn out while on my trip home from Colorado because I left my spare bulbs at home.
I like the idea of the LED headlamps but just can't bring myself to part with that much cash especially with the premium price they cost up here in the land of Canucks.
What kind of luck has everyone else had with headlamp bulbs? Are there brands that you find have better longevity?

on my 2012 Ultra I had 53,00 mi. on it when I traded for my 2018. It still was OE & 6 yrs old when I traded.
tourbox

I couldn't believe it but bulbs are covered in orig.24 mo.warranty.Only bike I ever had to change was a 2015 FLHX .both rear turn signal lamps and tail light.At different intervals all within a year 12k miles.But no other bike.

08 softail changed once since I've owned it on the way to Salt Springs some years back. Thanks to Bodeen he had a spare with him. Like you I run on high beam all the time, did add some small silver bullets as well.

Back