free website stats program HD Suspension Air Pump for Checking Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Suspension Air Pump for Checking Tires

bobbeidel

Can the HD Suspension Air pump be used to check and adjust tire pressure? I don't know of any reason why not. Access to the valve stem on some wheels is impossible with most of the gas stations air hoses. So the suspension pump might come in handy to do the tires!!

Thanks

I would not use the suspenion pump for tires, alot more pressure in tires would not want to jack up my expensive suspension guage.

I would have to look at mine to see what the pressure range is on the gauge. If that is compatible with tire pressure, why not? Using it to pump up a tire would be very tiring. The pump is a very small volume per stroke and to add more than a pound or 2 of air would take a very long time and many, many strokes. Perhaps some of us have more endurance in that department than others.

The valve on the tires is a different size from the air shocks. It's called a schrader valve. I had to buy a valve extender( Harley part) to be able to check tire pressure on rear tire. It is tight to say the least.

To clarify, the valve on the tires is a schrader valve, the one on the pump is a presta valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not used suspension pump. My thought is its design for low pressure application where as tires are high pressure. Trying to use pump to air up tires, more and likely you are going to damage suspension pump trying. I would find a different way using a air gauge with 90 degree fitting on a hose or digital 90 degree gauge.....

Tire presssures are in the 36 to 45 range. The shock pressures are in the 20 to 50 range. Pressure is pressure. The only problem I see is the suspension pump can only displace a small amount of air. Now if the valve fittings are different then that's a different problem!

So back to original question then, how are you going to attach suspension pump to tire valve, when the device needed to check air pressure needs a 90 degree to attach to valve stem or have you already install 90 degree valve stems on bike. I do not see where suspension pump would be beneficial to use??????

Good question. I haven't tried to attach the suspension pump yet. I actually bought an extension from NAPA that will attached to the front valve stem and the back stem. So I can use the gas station air pumps. But in an emergency maybe the Suspension bpum would work. End of story. Was just curious if any of you guys had used the suspension pump for tires. Thanks

I have used the pump to check the pressure butnot to inflate. It's easier than most gauges because the part that screws onto the valve stem is flexible and can be manipulated a tad easier .

So it will fill the tire valve stem and can read the pressure. That could be handy and you could probably add air if necessary, albeit would take a lot of pump strokes.

Back