free website stats program HD Smart Charger on a Dyna? | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Smart Charger on a Dyna?

risuperglide

My HD Dealer told me that I could not connect the plug in Pig Tail on the Dyna Model's battery without modifying, ie. cutting the battery case. I have a 2010 FXDC. Is this true? If not I will have to resort to the supplied alligator clips with the case removed for winter storage....

Don't have to do any "Cutting". You do need to notch a small opening into the rear (receiver side) of the battery box. If you don't notch the case for the lamp cord, the battery cover can pinch the charging wire.

It is not a big deal & once you remove the battery cover you will see what I mean. Not sure where you dealership was taking you on this one.

(pretty sure my 2009 is close to what you have)

Don't have to do any "Cutting". You do need to notch a small opening into the rear (receiver side) of the battery box. If you don't notch the case for the lamp cord, the battery cover can pinch the charging wire.

It is not a big deal & once you remove the battery cover you will see what I mean. Not sure where you dealership was taking you on this one.

(pretty sure my 2009 is close to what you have)

What type of a tool do you recomend for the "notch"?......:34:

The battery box on my bike is made out of a phenolic plastic. As Jack says a file or dremel tool will work fine. You are just trying to make a small slot so the wire does not get pinched when you place the battery cover back on.

The local dealership that prepared my bike did not make the slot and the chrome battery cover had cut into the cable. Since the chrome cover is Completely insulated from the frame of the bike, no short occurred but the Chrome cover was actually Battery positive in relationship to frame ground. When I saw that my eyes bugged out of my head. An electrical short there could have whacked my ECM.

That's what $400 in Dealer Prep buys you these days.

The battery box on my bike is made out of a phenolic plastic. As Jack says a file or dremel tool will work fine. You are just trying to make a small slot so the wire does not get pinched when you place the battery cover back on.

The local dealership that prepared my bike did not make the slot and the chrome battery cover had cut into the cable. Since the chrome cover is Completely insulated from the frame of the bike, no short occurred but the Chrome cover was actually Battery positive in relationship to frame ground. When I saw that my eyes bugged out of my head. An electrical short there could have whacked my ECM.

That's what $400 in Dealer Prep buys you these days.

What, I would have clobbered those guys Poor PDI was that Daytona or Sanford?

What, I would have clobbered those guys Poor PDI was that Daytona or Sanford?

The bike was PDI by Ormond Destination, but was transferred to Sanford where I purchased it.

Destination "could Not do the Deal", but somehow Sanford HD bought the bike from Destination, trucked it to Sanford and sold it to me. They made a profit.

You should have seen the salesman look at me when I rode up to Destination on THEIR BIKE 3 days after they said NO to the deal.. !!:p

The bike was PDI by Ormond Destination, but was transferred to Sanford where I purchased it.

Destination "could Not do the Deal", but somehow Sanford HD bought the bike from Destination, trucked it to Sanford and sold it to me. They made a profit.

You should have seen the salesman look at me when I rode up to Destination on THEIR BIKE 3 days after they said NO to the deal.. !!:p

LOL, bet they bricked :p Those guys have gotten strange since Bruce died, They still send me mail

I don't understand what the problem is. Every bike that comes out of Plymouth UK Harley-Davidson is fitted with a Optimate charging connection lead. I will have to look but I don't think they cut my battery box to fit it.

I don't think they cut my battery box to fit it.

"Notch" not cut....

I think you could also use the existing pass through holes that are already there for the battery cables with a little work. (?) (It has been a while).

If I had left it the way it came from the dealership, sparks would have eventually flown. Those guys were just plain old slackers. :34:

Back