free website stats program HD Service Error | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Service Error

walleye

Contributor
After my last service (1000 mile) I noticed a smell that smelled like gear lube, Not all the time but occasionally. I initially checked all levels which were good. I called the dealer and they said as long as the levels were full not to worry. It did not smell all the time. I recently got back from a road trip through Yellowstone and prior to leaving I did my 5K service. (at 4500 miles)When I went to remove the primary plug it was loose. It was not loose enough to drip, but hand tight and it had a small amount of dried up lube, almost powder around it. I easily unscrewed it by hand. I believe it was leaking so slow it did not drip but was drying up and blowing off. All I know is the dealer that did the service did not tighten down the plug. Luckily it was such a small leak there was still plenty of lube in the primary. I am done trusting any dealer to service my bike. I used them for the 1000K as it was part of the deal when I bought the bike. Just a heads up, beware of the dealer who you do not know well. They may have a rookie doing your service. :(

Don't feel bad Walleye, just a learning experience. Had the local dealer work on my bike...yeah, yeah I know. Got it back, found out that person who worked on my bike, pitched the clear plastic cover for the fuse box I made and the positive battery cable plastic cover (I have the nice metal chrome battery cover on the side) and stripped the metal insert in the fender holding the seat down (which was loose on the way home). :small3d015:

They could not marry the ICM to TSSM and determined the 2nd new ICM I had was bad...so they put the thermal intermittant OEM one back on, which they did a test ride on and said it worked fine...and YEP it died after 20 min ride on the way home...AGAIN! Only thing they did right was to program the security code using the computertech port. I will now do all my service and for go the dealer as a last resort. :20:

Last edited:
I let my dealer do the 1K for the same reason, fortunately without incident as I rode 200 miles to get there and again to get home. I bought the bike out of state as that dealer had what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay.

I spent $50 for the service manual and have done all of the work on my bike since. I pick up the specialty tools as needed.

no dought if you want something done right you HAVE to do it yourself lol even if you need to learn how ;-)

NEWHD74FAN, Is that the dealer near you?

It's really hard to find a good tech/mech.

Also, I always check the fluid levels and drain plugs when I get home. I don't trust no one either...

Its a shame they can charge you those really high shop labor charges even when they have some dork work on your stuff. The supervisors are supposed to check their work but today's worker does not like to be checked on or second guessed. What's the alternative? Fire the person the first time they screw up and let them go back to their old profession whatever that was. At the prices they are getting for doing the work (not sure what they are paid) they should pay attention and do a good job.

It is a local dealer, and this was one bad incident from one tech...there are 8 techs there so, you can't put all of them together. Just won't do service there without interviewing tech assigned IF there is a next time...!

stealer did not tightten my primary plug and one day a guy in a van starts honking behind me so i pull over and he tells me im spraying fluid all over the road i start to freak when i reach under the primary and find to my disbelief the primary drain plug is missing. Thank god the cager pulled me over as soon as the plug fell out so there wasn't any damage the guy who did this was fired but that's no consolation what if it was the oil plug and i was cruising down the hiway at 80 be aware very aware of the stealer man

Took my bike to the dealer for 5000 check up and he put the wrong oil in my bike, came to my house thou and trailered the bike back and back to me. and gave me a free oil change coupon. needless to say anyone want a free oil change. Will never go to this dealer again.

You know the Dealers are charging big bucks for labor ($75.00 hr) where i live. But if you look at most of their mechanics , not all but most of their mechanics are young guys with not alot of experence and their not paying them very much ($15.00 hr). Its kinda hard to get or keep a good mechanic if your not willing to pay him.

I am a truck mechanic, but trust me when I say that the mechanics at the dealerships make only a small fraction of what the dealer charges for shop time. Typically $12 to $15/ hr. for the mechanic. And to add insult to injury most mechanics have to buy all their own tools with the exception of the hige end specialty tools such as computer analyzers and such.

Back