free website stats program HD Reach Seat | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Reach Seat

walleye

Contributor
I have an '03 UC. The '09 has a redesigned frame and related systems, so I am not talking "apples and apples". But at 5'-6", I needed the Ultra lower. HD front kit and shorter rear air shocks. That coupled with the REACH seat made a HUGE difference in the perceived stability of the bike. TQ

TQuentin:
How do you like the reach seat for comfort? I stopped by the dealer today and they had a reach seat on an 09 Ultra sitting on the floor. I sat on it and it no doubt made me flat footed, even in dress (work) shoes. My question is if it is as comfortable as the stock seat. I, being a minority in this opinion, like the stock seat. Before I spend $300 I would like to hear some opinions on comfort. Another reason I like the reach seat is it also brings me forward an inch which will eliminate me having to change the bars. I want comfort though. Any other opinions? Sorry if this has been beaten to death. I just want to be sure. Thanks.:bigsmiley24:

Was going to buy one,some say it is lower but puts you in a sling kinda.Many like the Sundowner.I went with Corbin Close,duel heated and studded w/backrest.After 400 miles I can say I'm more confident walking with the bike and it makes the bike.

My bride who hates it when I spend money even admitted she likes it alot.

I would say the Corbin is the best add on I have done.

TQuentin:
How do you like the reach seat for comfort? I stopped by the dealer today and they had a reach seat on an 09 Ultra sitting on the floor. I sat on it and it no doubt made me flat footed, even in dress (work) shoes. My question is if it is as comfortable as the stock seat. I, being a minority in this opinion, like the stock seat. Before I spend $300 I would like to hear some opinions on comfort. Another reason I like the reach seat is it also brings me forward an inch which will eliminate me having to change the bars. I want comfort though. Any other opinions? Sorry if this has been beaten to death. I just want to be sure. Thanks.:bigsmiley24:

In order to accomplish the objectives for this seat, the padding on the seat CAN NOT be as plush as the original seat, or other seats designed for maximum comfort. To me, for daily use riding back and forth to work it is ABSOLUTELY no problem. I have taken longer day trips, and the seat was OK. However, if I was riding from Houston to Sturgis, or riding from LA to Washington, DC I think I would get a VERY plush seat to use for that purpose. I would sacrifice a bit of stability for more comfort if I was doing 6-8 hours (or more) on the seat for many days in a row. In that case, it would be for that particular purpose, and I would swap back to the REACH seat when stability became more important.

I am a firm believer in fit-for-purpose, and the REACH seat is that if the purpose is to lower me, move me forward, and increase the perceived stability of the bike. I would gladly buy a different seat to fulfill a different purpose if I was going to do a long continuous ride.

TQ

I had a Sundowner on my RK but I couldn't get flatfooted. I sold it and bought a Reach. The Reach does a good job for me. I rode from Gulfport, Ms to Corpus Christi, Tx. about 650 miles just stopping for gas with no problem. I felt great the next day.

Thanks everyone. This is good information for me to ponder. I do need to gat a little closer to the ground ans well as the bars so this is likely a good choice for me. TQuentin makes a good point, it does what is is intended to do. I think I may go for the reach seat, and if I have a long ride planned, I always have the stock as a standby. Maybe as Hobbit and Redfish said, I will find it comfy enough and it will be good for all. Any other experiences here, good or bad, or other possibilities for me, please chime in.

i have the reach seat and lower shocks on my 09 ultra and the difference is great i can get my feet down :D i still have to do the lower front springs.
As for comfort the wife states its more comfy than the heritage with the touring seat on it and we used to do 500mile days on that, i would get off the heritage and know i had done that distance but so far the 300miler on the ultra was a breeze

Rob, can the fork tubes be raised by an inch without impacting the handling too much using an old metric sportbike trick that lowers and sometimes improves handling? Just a thought before doing major surgery. :newsmile105:

Yeah, I replaced the springs in my forks with shorter ones, before I replaced the Street Slammer bars and noticed fork sliders would not come up either, just was hoping other HD models would be different. Did not investigate what was holding them, as I had everything loose...but since I had the shorter springs, just put them in, oh well!

I purchased one when I bought my 08 UC. As I was not comfortable with my feet not being flat on the ground and this being my first UC.

Rode with it for about 2K miles, then one day placed my factory seat back on. I now have over 9K on my UC and really have no desire to put the reach seat back on.

It did move me down and forward and allowed my feet to be flat on the ground but for comfort the original is better for long trips. IMO.

Back