free website stats program HD Mid Frame Air Deflector | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Mid Frame Air Deflector

Biffy08

Has anyone installed these (HD part#61400028) on their bike? What is their purpose and what exactly their function? Do you truly notice a significant benefit? Are they worth the $60? My concern is if they hinder the cooling of the engine during hot weather? Thank you.

They were stock on My 2012 Ultra limited.Supposed to help keep heat off your thighs. I noticed no significant difference when you are idling for 3 minutes at stop lights. The 103 is hot, especially the rear cylinder. I tried everything to make it cooler. SERT and Fuel moto x-pipe ceramic coated ,K&N and running out of closed loop made it tolerable.:dknow

2014 water cooled is My solution.:)

The HD ones are cheap plastic. Why not try No More Fried Thighs. Zood is a sponsor here on the forum.

index.html

Has anyone installed these (HD part#61400028) on their bike? What is their purpose and what exactly their function? Do you truly notice a significant benefit? Are they worth the $60? My concern is if they hinder the cooling of the engine during hot weather? Thank you.

I believe the part number you listed is just some chrome trim for the stock air deflectors. The deflectors keep the heat from the rear cylinder off your legs. I don't think the deflectors hinder the cooling of the motor, but they sure help keeping valuable body parts from roasting when it's hot outside :)

They were stock on My 2012 Ultra limited.Supposed to help keep heat off your thighs. I noticed no significant difference when you are idling for 3 minutes at stop lights. The 103 is hot, especially the rear cylinder. I tried everything to make it cooler. SERT and Fuel moto x-pipe ceramic coated ,K&N and running out of closed loop made it tolerable.:dknow

2014 water cooled is My solution.:)

Thats an expensive solution :p

Last edited by a moderator:
They came standard on my Ultra, and they don't seem to have any adverse affect on air flow over the engine, but they keep down the hot air flow coming up between your legs!!:bigsmiley14:

That PN 61400028 is for Mid-Frame Air Deflector Trim.
Chrome trim on the black deflectors themselves!
Looking at the wrong item!

I suppose they "help" to a point.

I've never been bothered on my '07 Ultra because I had some Kuryakyn deflectors on the bike.
The dealership did put new Harley deflectors on the bike when they broke one deflector while in for servive.
Both worked the same.

You might be interested in the Front Fork Baffle PN 58520-79TC $26.95
Deflects air rushing between the front forks.
Actually pushes air down to the front cylinder.
Used to be standard on earlier bikes ('00 and earlier.) Harley quit adding them as standard and "let you" pay extra at the parts counter for them.
I have it, I like it.
Easy to add.

I purchased a set for my 04 ultra & installed . The holes are already there to mount just a little tricky to get the nuts installed on inside of frame - I got my wife to put her small hands in there to attach the nuts . There is less heat on your legs .

I purchased a set for my 04 ultra & installed . The holes are already there to mount just a little tricky to get the nuts installed on inside of frame - I got my wife to put her small hands in there to attach the nuts . There is less heat on your legs .

What he said! :D

I have had them on an 03 ultra for many years they have helped a lot. Having installed them and removed them for an engine rebuild I found it easier to install the right side deflector if you notch the upper mounting hole so you can slide the deflector onto the upper bolt instead of fighting the bolt in to upper hole. Saved alot of time and aggravation.

Back