free website stats program HD Maintenance Records | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Maintenance Records

Billbo

Hello all --- does HD keep maintenance records on bikes per Vin Number? IF yes -- do they only keep the record at the performing Dealer or is it kept on some sorta nationwide spreadsheet or network of dealers?

IE: I buy a bike from dealer XYZ and he does all the maintenance on it and I expect he keeps records of all work done ... Then one day while riding cross country, I stop in at dealer ABC for a new drive belt and tires. Is dealer XYZ able to pull up that record of maintenance by dealer ABC using the MC Vin number??

thanks
Bill

Only a guess but I think maintenance records are kept in a national database. Reason I think this is that I've had service work done at different dealers here in BC Canada and they simply brought my bike up on their computer. Another time I was at a U.S. dealer in Washington St. with a warrantee covered problem and they (Skagit HD, good people there) didn't even hesitate to help me out, just needed the VIN number.

Only a guess but I think maintenance records are kept in a national database. Reason I think this is that I've had service work done at different dealers here in BC Canada and they simply brought my bike up on their computer. Another time I was at a U.S. dealer in Washington St. with a warrantee covered problem and they (Skagit HD, good people there) didn't even hesitate to help me out, just needed the VIN number.
thanks for that information - maybe they do. seems they should (after thinking more about it) OR else - the bike owner would have to call up allllllll the HD dealers in the country to see if they had records.

ps - I bought a used bike and thats why I was wondering.

Bill

My guess would be that all Warranty work is national. Outside of warranty, it would only be at that local dealership.
Most car dealerships do it that way.

When I bought my '99 Ultra I tried to find out if the tensioners had been changed. I contacted the MoCo and a representative got back to me telling me that any records on normal service would be kept at the dealer doing the service. If I recall, when I gave her my VIN# she was able to tell me where the bike was originally sold. But, contacting the dealer was something I had to do on my own. Contacting the dealer wasn't as successful, as they couldn't tell me much of anything. I would guess how much info you get depends on the cooperativeness of the dealer...

My guess would be that all Warranty work is national. Outside of warranty, it would only be at that local dealership.
Most car dealerships do it that way.

well, I think since one bike = one vin number, tracking all maintenance work would not be that difficult - nation wide. anyway, I was just wondering - I would also like to know the maintenance background for my bike too. Mine is a 2001 model and had 42K miles on it when I bought it - but I cant even find out who bought it or who owned it when traded in. The dealer looked it up on their puter but found nothing. Maybe the local DMV can help.

Bill
I tried to add multiple quotes here but I cant seem to get that working either.. so this is for you too - The4opps1.

well, I think since one bike = one vin number, tracking all maintenance work would not be that difficult - nation wide. anyway, .

But once your out of warranty you can get it serviced at an Indy. You will never see an Indy uploading service records to a mainframe at HD. If I was an Indy I would not do it.

The DMV does have that info but where I live they will not give it out to the average joe. Once tried it with a cage. If you have a friend on the inside I am sure they can get it.

But once your out of warranty you can get it serviced at an Indy. You will never see an Indy uploading service records to a mainframe at HD. If I was an Indy I would not do it.

The DMV does have that info but where I live they will not give it out to the average joe. Once tried it with a cage. If you have a friend on the inside I am sure they can get it.
thanks Hoop, I was referring to maint performed by a HD Dealer. I realize Indy records would not be available ---- I just thought it was a good question and a good idea - all harley dealer records could be done that way IF they would. Of course, it would only be a benefit for those buying used bikes. hummmmm maybe I should just go buy a NEW bike,,, then I would know the service records. ;-))

Bill

Back