free website stats program HD jacket question | Harley Davidson Forums

HD jacket question

dogdad

I have the option of buying a new HD jacket at a discount that you plug into the bike and warms up. Are these good jackets? What will I have to install on my bike to make the connection?

I believe that Gerbing was making the internals for HD. I don't know if they are still doing it. Gerbing switched form a round wire to a flat tape wire for heating about a year ago and a factory rep at a demo made a general comment about Gerbing dropping from supplying a large customer. Was this HD? I don't know.

My wife has lots of problems with cold, so I researched this topic and we bought Gerbing liner pants, jacket and gloves for her. Gerbing is simple to use, made well.

If it is not labeled as such, check to feel the heating wires in the jacket. If they are flat, I would say it is Gerbing. Round, could be a old Gerbing or another brand. I would only purchase Gerbing given the quality and their guarantee.

I don't know what kind of jacket you are talking about but most are made to be worn under another protective jacket/leathers. If you haven't you may want to check the fit wearing everything so you don't feel too restricted if your outer jacket is a snug fit. Also know that if you have a favorite jacket, you can send it to Gerbing and they will add a heating system to it.

I don't have that option,,,,it's only for the HD jacket,,brand new,,, but excellent price for me. I just don't know how well they work.

If it is a Gerbing, I can tell you that riding in 7 degrees F at 75 mph, you can make it so warm that you literally can't stand it. The heated gloves very impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Gerbings jacket liners.. one is about as thick as a windbreaker and the other is like a heavy sweat shirt. I also have the Gerbings electric sox, pants and gloves. Gerbings is a fantastic company to deal with.. when my stuff all arrived several years ago, (it all connects), if I turned up the thermostat to get my hands warm, my body would be too hot. Gerbings sent me a pair of gloves that they double wired and solved the problem. I've been out in temps around 16 degrees and was smiling all the while! My understanding is that Gerbings manufactures for HD. Go for it!

The motor company generally sells quality riding attire. So, if you are in need of cold riding gear and the price is right HD is the way to go. I use a heated vest and as was posted by Porter it can get really hot. I have 9 settings on my vest and I can't go higher than 5 without getting too warm.

Well the HD jacket's retail price is $375. I bought it for $93.75...75% off..couldn't pass it up :newsmile017:. They have sold out since I bought it this morning from a dealer here in La. I wonder why?:D

I believe that Gerbing was making the internals for HD. I don't know if they are still doing it. Gerbing switched form a round wire to a flat tape wire for heating about a year ago and a factory rep at a demo made a general comment about Gerbing dropping from supplying a large customer. Was this HD? I don't know.

My wife has lots of problems with cold, so I researched this topic and we bought Gerbing liner pants, jacket and gloves for her. Gerbing is simple to use, made well.

If it is not labeled as such, check to feel the heating wires in the jacket. If they are flat, I would say it is Gerbing. Round, could be a old Gerbing or another brand. I would only purchase Gerbing given the quality and their guarantee.

I don't know what kind of jacket you are talking about but most are made to be worn under another protective jacket/leathers. If you haven't you may want to check the fit wearing everything so you don't feel too restricted if your outer jacket is a snug fit. Also know that if you have a favorite jacket, you can send it to Gerbing and they will add a heating system to it.

If it is a Gerbing, I can tell you that riding in 7 degrees F at 75 mph, you can make it so warm that you literally can't stand it. The heated gloves very impressive.

I was reading the operating manual and the warranty section list Gerbings address and phone number for questions and technical stuff. So that answers any question on who's design it is.

If the jacket works, you're going to be stoked. If you go back to older threads, you'll see Gerbing's stuff will keep you nice and toasty warm. I have the liner and gloves and with my Kevlar jeans, long undies, and Alpaca socks, I never get cold any more on cold winter rides. Nice bargain hunting/ Never pass up a deal like that!

I was reading the operating manual and the warranty section list Gerbings address and phone number for questions and technical stuff. So that answers any question on who's design it is.

Thanks for the feedback/confirmation.

You got a FANTASTIC deal! The best we did for my wife was buy the "round" wire models as they were switching over to the flat wire. 50% off, but they were only the thinner, liner style. They only had them in small sizes, so it didn't help me at all. Again, sweet deal!

Back