free website stats program HD IDS-Isolated Drive System-tire wear | Harley Davidson Forums

HD IDS-Isolated Drive System-tire wear

Just a note for anyone considering an HD IDS part# 40287-07 @ $305.00. I highly recommend it for your 07 Touring ride. Not only does it dampen mechanical clunk and noise for a smoother ride, someone told me rear tire wear would increase by 20%. I had it installed at my first rear tire change @ 5200 miles. I now have over 14,000 miles and probably will make it 'til spring. I do ride two-up most of the time though and am not sure if that has any thing to do with it. It's standard on the '08 and I don't know(doubt it) if it will fit prior to '07 touring models. Ride safe.

How much differant is the ride?

I don't think I have a problem with my 07 FLHR, but sometimes you don't know until you fix it.

This is something that I might consider adding over the winter.

Just a note for anyone considering an HD IDS part# 40287-07 @ $305.00. I highly recommend it for your 07 Touring ride. Not only does it dampen mechanical clunk and noise for a smoother ride, someone told me rear tire wear would increase by 20%. I had it installed at my first rear tire change @ 5200 miles. I now have over 14,000 miles and probably will make it 'til spring. I do ride two-up most of the time though and am not sure if that has any thing to do with it. It's standard on the '08 and I don't know(doubt it) if it will fit prior to '07 touring models. Ride safe.

I have 12k on my tires and it looks like I can get another 2-3k easy on my 08 Road Glide. Thats riding 2 up most of the time and pulling a trailer sometimes. Must be something to it.

I installed IDS when it first came out, and it was the first one Zanotti's shipped with the bearing-install option. I didn't see any tire-wear change on the D402 rears I had on the bike at the time, the second of which was changed out when IDS was installed, but I have seen a dramatic change with the E3 rear I installed 18 months and >16k miles ago. It is wearing about 2X better than I realized from the first two D402's I had on the bike. At this time it has 4/32" of tread remaining (10/32" is new) at over 16k. The first two Dunlops were completely worn out at 10k.

Are youse guys saying the "rattle can" noise I'm getting from my 07 RKC is from the trans/final drive??
Seems to me to be coming from the front cylinder, and I always thought it was pinging, so I'd downshift. I never have had the bike out without the windshield, so the noise is bouncing off of it? The XIEDs took care of alot of this noise, as I can now run 60 in 6th without (to) much noise. Nothing less, though.
If this is all true, looks like I need to place an order.

DO IT! It's the best improvement you can make on the 07 touring bikes. It makes a dramatic difference in the ride, sound and feel of the bike. I think you will agree too. I did it on my 07 RK and the difference was day and night.

Sooooo, to answer my question....
The noise I thought was pinging from the front cylinder is really drive train / trans noise?

Are youse guys saying the "rattle can" noise I'm getting from my 07 RKC is from the trans/final drive??
Seems to me to be coming from the front cylinder...."

Make sure the exhaust heat shields are tight.

DO IT! It's the best improvement you can make on the 07 touring bikes. It makes a dramatic difference in the ride, sound and feel of the bike. I think you will agree too. I did it on my 07 RK and the difference was day and night.

I agree 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back