free website stats program having idle problem | Harley Davidson Forums

having idle problem

trat

OK I replaced the intake gaskets on my 2000 1200XLH with a HSR carb because of a surge problem at steady throttle. I have not ridden the bike yet because when I put it back together I now have to completely close the pilot screw to get a good Idle. I am doing so other work (moving the ignition switch replacing tires and lowering the bike)) so I am not ready to put the tank back on and ride it yet. I have checked for vacuum leaks around the manifold and carb and don't seem to have any now. I did have before I replaced the intake seals. Reading the HSR tuning manual it says that if the pilot adjustment is less than 1 turn out I need a larger pilot jet. Before I changed the seals my pilot screw was at 1 1/2 turns out. I would like to get some of your ideas on this. Has anyone had this problem? It seems to me that if I was 1 1/2 turns out with vacuum leaks then with out a leak I would have to be out further. Is my thinking right? Or am I looking at it wrong? Oh one other thing I installed 10 in long baffles in my pipes which are 2 1/4 long shots. They had no baffles at all. I did this after replacing the seals. I did start the bike before I replaced the baffles and I had to close the idle jet to get it to idle. I did not warm the bike up to normal though before I installed the baffles. The baffles did not seem to affect the idle at all but it is a heck of a lot quieter now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a carb man, but I do have some HSR manuals. You have a 42 correct? Is the carb brand new or did it come off of a used bike.

I would suspect that air is being drawn in from somewhere if the carb has been off the bike i would look at the bits where it has been disturbed
Carb to manifold junction, vacuum pipe to the voes, or the choke fitting

Brian

That was my first thought but I have sprayed wd 40 all around and I can't find any vacuum leaks. I even sprayed some starter fluid around the manifold and the idle didn't change. I found the leak that caused me to change the manifold seals last week this way but now nothing! If there is a leak I cant find it,,,,,I guess I should pull the carb of it again.

I would suspect that air is being drawn in from somewhere if the carb has been off the bike i would look at the bits where it has been disturbed
Carb to manifold junction, vacuum pipe to the voes, or the choke fitting

I can find no vacuum leaks, I even used butane around the manifold and the carb mount......NOTHING. Still won't Idle with the pilot screw over 1/2 turn out from closed. As soon as I crack the pilot screw it starts to die.......I am out of ideas!

Have you checked the condition of the vacuum pipe between the top of the carb and the voes on some models there is a t in the vacuum pipe to also operate the petcock if the vacuum take off on the carb was drawing air that would make your mixture weak

Brian

Have you checked the condition of the vacuum pipe between the top of the carb and the voes on some models there is a t in the vacuum pipe to also operate the petcock if the vacuum take off on the carb was drawing air that would make your mixture weak

Brian
My bike has a custom tank and no vacuum petcock, sorry, I should have mentioned that. I can't find any vacuum leaks using WD40, Starting fluid, or bleeding butane from a torch through a hose and checking all the joints and hoses. It is hard to get everywhere back behind the carb though even with the tank off and using a remote tank. I guess I'll pull the carb back off this weekend and check every thing visually, See if I screwed up anything!

Back