free website stats program Have you planned any modifications over the winter? | Harley Davidson Forums

Have you planned any modifications over the winter?

This is the time I begin planning for major modifications. With storing, my dealership offers major discounts for parts, installation and oil changes.

First off, other than an oil cooler I have not made any final decisions on what modifications to make on the 48. Frankly, it's providing better service and performance than I thought possible. I can't get off of the little thing, and wore out a tire already.

However, I am finding that I am riding on major highways more. When I first bought the bike I never dreamed of long jaunts on the slab and Class A highways. The 48 (I call her "Spinner") was just to function as a smaller bike to make deliveries and save on fuel costs. It is only my fourth Sportster in all these years, but one of the best overall bikes I've ever owned.

If that's the case, should I make major changes? Should I bite the bullet and buy a larger gas tank? Purchase, painting, and electronics will make that a $1K change all by itself. What about beefing up the cubic inches? What about using Buell parts?

BTW, "doing nothing" is also a decision. Is anyone out there facing the same choices.

(Tank has graciously offered to open an old thread on Buell parts. I did a search, but found no really applicable info. I do not wish to re-ignite discussions on that brand. I'm just looking for parts for a Sportster.)

I don't have the patients to make a job last all winter and then wait to enjoy the results, so if I do anything it will be done as soon as I get parts and time, usually a couple of days
Ken

I don't have the patients to make a job last all winter

Oh, as you get older you develop patience. I do, however, get all 'little girlie' when I see the UPS truck pull up to my house!:p

There is a cost savings at my dealership for winter time work. And they lay-off fewer mechanics.

In addition, most of the major jobs I cannot (or simply do not want) to do myself. Ryan is a factory trained mechanic that can open a engine without leaving a single witness mark--I know, I have looked!

He built the entire top end of Betty. If Spinner goes Buell, then Ryan will get that job, as well. It snows and freezes here in Wisconsin, I can wait until spring...

Tell me about your thinking and styling reasons for relocating the blinkers. I'm not thrilled with mine sometimes, either. I don't know if just moving them around will help me.

My reasons are simple..Installing new bars now would be the time to change them...I dont like the looks of them up there and with taler bars I think thay wood look even worce..Im going to mount a set on near my forks..Im wondering what do you dislike about yours?

Just old school. I never ran turn signals on bikes until the late 1980s. I'd like to trash the entire line of MoCo blinkers. If I could run those miniature ones without ripping out all of the stock wiring, I would.

The main problem--besides looks--is the fact that my rear signals are also brake lights. In that case I wish the (EDIT) would strobe, whistle Dixie and act as electric gattling guns.

Go to 'Bing,' type in the phrase "idiot drunken half-conscious brain-dead townie with twelve DUIs" and somewhere in the photo is a Wisconsin license plate.

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

I plan on taking of the windshield I have and perhaps switching to drag bars. I also wanna get a new exhaust on, but that's gonna cost the most $$$.

Problem is I ride through November or December, so my "winter" is fairly short.

Nope, just ride every day and Maybe trim the Stache a bit to keep the Redhead happy:p

I plan on several medications over the winter. Self medicating is one way to preserve what little sanity I've retained.

(oh, that said "modifications". my bad. really need to get new glasses) :(

Back