free website stats program Has anyone ever modified their ignition switch? | Harley Davidson Forums

Has anyone ever modified their ignition switch?

I had a situation come up the other day that started me thinking. I have only had my FLSTC for about three weeks. I had been killing my engine with the ignition switch on the gas tank console.No Problem! Then IO took a motorcycle safty course and the instructor drilled into our brains to always use the engine shut off switch. So the other day I tried getting into the habit of using the shut off switch and upon arriving to work I shut the engine off but forgot and left ign. switch on. Result - dead battery. So then I debate with myself had I been correct in the first place to use solely the ign. switch. That point and process can be debated both ways and is not the reason for this post. While pondering on that problem another one raised it's ugly head. Here is my question: has anyone ever changed their system to include maybe a hidden main power shut off? With my factory alarm system no one can start my bike without the key fob but, that does not stop anyone from turning my ignition switch (which is in plain site) on. Be it for a joke or just someone being plain mean it does leave a person vulnerableand with a dead battery. Any ideas!

Use the key to lock the ignition and don't overload your brain trying to design the perfect mousetrap :s

Hello.

Can't you just lock the switch? I have a 2000 Fatboy and you can leave the ignition switch locked or unlocked. I thought they were all like that.

Dang, Glider is fast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Life should be so easy.... All things are not as they may seem. I guess I should have checked things out better before posting. I can't believe that I have used my bike for three weeks and never knew that the ignition switch fliped open. Under which I could use a key to lock my ignition. Problem solved. Can you say dumb (EDIT)! Thanks guys!
Kenny

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
heh heh sorry must be my upbringing.
It can happen leaving the ignition on but
doesn't help when you don't need the key
in to turn on or off.
2 reasons why I look back at my bike when
walking away from it.
1 Because I love it.
2 To make sure lights off and sidestand