free website stats program Harmon Kardon Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Harmon Kardon Replacement

Sherwood

About two weeks after my warranty ran out on my '06 FLHTC, one of the channels blew out on the radio.

I called Harley and they said too bad so sad; but they did have a refurbish replacement progran for $275.00 through the dealer. The dealer set everything up and when I removed the faring both vertical faring/radio supports were sheared off at the top mount screw and both horizontal supports were sheared at the lower speaker mount.

I should have known something was wrong when the faring bounced a little more than usual when idling. Just out of curiosity, I asked two friends to pull their faring and wouldn't you know it, each one had at least one of the brackets sheared in exactly the same place. In the meantime, rather than replacing with another factory support, I machined a couple of short heavy duty brackets that attached to the vertical supports at the point where the old ones sheared and screwed onto the faring.

Yesterday, I finally replaced the radio, turned it on and got a message across the front that says "Radio not Calibrated" and when the radio is playing, it cuts out about every ten seconds and produces three loud beeps.

Can anyone tell me what this is about? I have a feeling it has something to do with the on board computer, similar to what happens when the ignition module is replaced. Something I have to take to the dealer.

You may have to marry the radio to the system the same way you have to marry the ECU to the system when replacing that. Glider has that procedure in the self-help section.

Here is what I mentioned above. For the cost of 30 min or so of your time with the battery on a charger, I would give this a shot.

Marrying New TSSM To Bike - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
I had a check engine light come on once & took the bike to the dealer & he said that the speakers flashed a code , they cleared the code & the check engine light never came back on . I dont know :dknow if the dealer was (edited) me cause I would never have of guessed that the sound system is linked to the computer , but you may want to take the bike down to the dealer & see what is up , they may have to get into the computer to fix the prolem . Good luck !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherwood - Welcome to HDTimeline...if you have the radio/fairing apart again, can you take & post pictures of the damaged radio/fairing mounts and details? Could be a problem area that is of interest to others with similar application of fairing & radio combination.

Apparently, these brackets shearing is quite a common problem. After I talked around, several folks experienced the same problem and some of them have replaced the vertical supports twice now.

I mentioned today to one of the mechanics at the dealership and he knew right away what I was talking about.

The brackets hold the entire radio and I'm betting this is what killed the radio. It's basically a modified angle bracket, but when it reaches the attachment point at the top of the faring, just one of the angles is bent over for a screw to go through and it's that tab that shears off. It's a really poor design.

I stilll have the outer faring off, so I'll take a couple of pictures. Wait till you see the monster brackets I machined and bolted to the old faring supports.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow to talk to someone at the dealership who I'm almost sure will have the answer to the "Radio not Calibrated" message.

I wonder what their comment will be...if it was the "zig" or the "zag" on the winding road up to the dealer that "unsettled the radio?":58:

Well here it is.

You can see from the photos that it broke where the bracket attaches to the faring.

Attachments

• Bracket1.JPG
    Bracket1.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Bracket2.JPG
    Bracket2.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 156
  • Bracket3.JPG
    Bracket3.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 159
Not long at all, 10 minutes at the most.

There are 7 screws total. Three at the top/outside by the windshield, two on the inside by the speakers and the toughest two on the inside at the bottom of the faring by the forks. I don't exactly remember off hand, but I think they're all T-27's.

Not long at all, 10 minutes at the most.

There are 7 screws total. Three at the top/outside by the windshield, two on the inside by the speakers and the toughest two on the inside at the bottom of the faring by the forks. I don't exactly remember off hand, but I think they're all T-27's.

Yes they are T-27s. I had the bracket on the left break at the tip too. Replaced it. I am not sure, but looking at the fairing, the previous owner might have dropped the bike (hmmm, I even remember the current owner laying it down once!!), or mashed into something. I would rather the cheap bracket broke at that end, then all the other stuff in there! Not saying that the MC designed it to be sacrificial - probably just dumb luck!!

TQ

Back