free website stats program Harley TB lists. Is there such a thing? | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley TB lists. Is there such a thing?

atm33

Since I bought a used Harley (around 2 months ago -- I previously owned a Honda for several years), I've been soaking up this forum like a sponge, working on my 10K maintenance, and running into broken parts and issues. First it was a broken rear brake switch, which according to this forum and others was a very common issue (waiting to fix that until I get some speed bleeders). Second, yesterday, the bike made a loud grinding noise when starting. Again, per forum info, I could be looking at needing to install a new SE compensator which is also a well known and common problem for that era of bike (hopefully something less expensive but don't know yet).

All that to say this: Is there a "list" of very common problems for a specific year of bike that an owner can look into and check out before it becomes a larger problem? Perhaps the MoCo has a magic list of technical bulletins (forget what they are called) that MoCo or someone has compiled somewhere? I guess the good thing is that I'm very quickly becoming acquainted with my new (used) ride...

Not to make this post too long, but also want to express my gratitude for all who contribute to this site. My service manual certainly doesn't cover the wealth of experience here. And I've never had anyone respond negatively to any of my novice questions. So thanks.

Not to make this post too long, but also want to express my gratitude for all who contribute to this site. My service manual certainly doesn't cover the wealth of experience here. And I've never had anyone respond negatively to any of my novice questions. So thanks.

Thanks for your kind words. We do have a core group of extremely smart folks who are members here and are always willing to lend a hand and share their experience with the rest of us.

I would say that cam tensioner shoes are one of them. Mine has 23,300 miles and I will need to check them during the winter time.

I would say that cam tensioner shoes are one of them. Mine has 23,300 miles and I will need to check them during the winter time.

Not as big a issue as the earlier bikes. The OP with a 2008 and yours being a '10 makes them a wear item but not like the spring loaded ones of old.

The spring loaded ones went out in '06. The '07 and later have the Hydraulic type.
Just an update.
tourbox

Sounds like I just happen to have the 2 "greatest hits" of Harley issues in the last few years. The brake switch apparently had a recall for a couple years. From what I've read about the compensator issue, it is way out of control and Harley has redesigned a couple of times, but no recalls or TSB's have been issued. Heck, the MoCo has probably made a killing selling the new SE compensator kits by the number of people upgrading on the forums... Guess I'll pony up and install one too. Good winter project :)

Not as big a issue as the earlier bikes. The OP with a 2008 and yours being a '10 makes them a wear item but not like the spring loaded ones of old.

Thanks for letting me know! Do I still need to check them up? Or leave them alone? Thanks again!

Back