free website stats program Harley remote key fob | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley remote key fob

ProF

I recently saw an ad on Craig's List for a Harley remote key fob, for $15. The ad said that you could take it to a dealer and have it programmed.

On my '02 Toyota, you can buy the "smart key" and the security fob, on Ebay, and program them yourself, doing a funny little routine (turn the key on and off 2 times, open and shut the door 3 times, do the Hokey Pokey, etc.).

My question is, does anyone know if the Harley remote key fob (the older one, for an '06) can be home programmed in like fashion? And if so, does anyone know the sequence of steps to take? I wouldn't mind having an extra fob if I could do it myself.

Prof...the button type fob has to be taken to the dealer to be coded to match your 2nd original one. The other part where you do the turn signal/ignition key MARRYING them to the bike on the other hand can be done. Look in the Self Help section regarding this. As Joy and others have said, don't be distracted by trying to multi-task. Watching the flashing lights, sequence coding the turnsignals buttons, pausing in between and reaching down for the ignition switch, is easy to mess up. :s

If by marrying, you're referring to being able to unlock the bike using the turn signals, I've done that with the existing fobs. I just wondered if I could do the basic coding like I could with the car fobs. Sounds like the answer is no. I'll have to call the dealer and see how much they want to do it.
Thanks.

I just wondered if I could do the basic coding like I could with the car fobs.

You need to have the dealership program a new FOB. The service manual was not very clear if you can even program more than 2 FOB's to an ECM at any given time. I know on my cage, I can program smart keys or FOB's myself without the dealership. but that is not the case with HD.

It does not say it, but it seems to imply that with the HD system, the ECM will only accept 2 serial numbers or 2 different FOB's.
Let us know what the dealership says about it. The real question is will the ECM accept more than 2 FOB's and if so what is the limit. I would think it would either be 2 or 9 as the limit.

Well, I'm not surprised. Leave it to MOCO to make sure something can't be done without them.
I already have two fobs, so I'm just going to let it drop. If I can remember (yeah, right!), I'll ask next time I'm over there.

Thanks, guys.

Leave it to MOCO to make sure something can't be done without them.

I guess in a way it's good you need a dealership machine to do it because you sure wouldn't want your "buddy" or local mechanic making an extra FOB for himself to be used later.

But then again, I don't even trust MY DEALERSHIP so now what!:D

Just to clarify, the "marrying process" is necessary if a new TSM/TSSM is installed on the bike. This can be done by the user without HD Dealership involvement. As a note, make sure there is a battery charger/tender helping the battery. It is a long haul for the battery to get through the cycles, and if it passes out in-process, you will have to start over!!

Marrying NEW TSM/TSSM To Bike (password relearn) - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back