free website stats program Harley Luggage Rack and Maximum weight | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Luggage Rack and Maximum weight

DANNY MC

Hi guys,one of my winter mods was a HD luggage rack for my ride,states it has a max load of 5kg,just wondering if anyone had any probs loading over that max:newsmile047:

Overloading is one of those things that if you do and nothing bad happens your okay right? Wrong...what is a concern are latent or hidden defects that may occur if you do so. Physical damage may not show up right away, but a sheared fastener or micro-fractures can expand to major failure at some future date which is not a good thing. Remember also that weight is dynamic, hitting big bumps can simulate 2x to 4x the actual weight...so keep the weight below the max and center of gravity low as well to not affect the handling of the bike.

Hi.... i have ridden roadglide all the states, and had a t bag on most of the time, 3 times the suggested weight never had a problem, just dont stack high nor extend to far off back of bike...will change center of gravity...

Cheers fellas,with saddle bags and a large HD SAC bag to go passenger seat side over sissy, dont reckon i will exceed weight by fillin medium roll bag,but u dont knw,got a trip to Scotland and then Holland/belgium and france in summer and with the wife on her bike she tends to over pack............

That a lot when you think about it. I am sure a few have steped a little over that limit.
looks like this guy may have pushed it to at least 6kg
overloaded.jpg

Yeah, but what a great backrest!!!

It's also very hard on the tires and suspension. It's very easy to overload, especially a Ultra Classic, with all the bags and such.

Hi guys,one of my winter mods was a HD luggage rack for my ride,states it has a max load of 5kg,just wondering if anyone had any probs loading over that max:newsmile047:

I put a removable luggage rack on my FLHR 09 ....... BUT I INSTALLED IT ON A DOCKING POINTS system....LOTS STRONGER and easy to remove.... I FEEL IT WILL CARRY MORE WEIGHT AND I WILL CARRY A T-BAG FULL , regardless of weight,,, AND THAT IS HOW I DO IT!!!!!!

Now on a install using the seat screw and light or license plate holder ,,,,, I would stick close to the SUGGESTED WEIGHT VALUES,,,, knowing you can FUDGE a little there.....CAREFUL

JUST MY WAY......

signed....BUBBIE

Back